Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

royq
Having an Impact

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

DSCN1944.JPG

Easy little project at my brother-in-law's place a couple of weeks ago. Took about 5 hours and cost less than $100. Really makes a difference.

The fence is all you can see from one of the bedroom windows, so it needed something to make it less bland. However the fence is very close to the house so we wanted to do something that wouldn't take up too much space.

I made a quick video with a time lapse camera just for fun :smile:

BeforeBeforeAfterAfterDSCN1955.JPG

Thanks for checking this out, happy workshopping.

Cheers, Roy

leighq
Growing in Experience

Re: Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

Hi @royq I have looked up this thread many times and we finally got round to doing this on our fence! Hoping it all works and comes up looking well, I will post a picture. Do you have any other recommendations for planting trees/shrubs on a retaining wall? 

46A04423-25C6-4F6E-A2D5-0D2140F36636.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great work @leighq. Fantastic to see you inspired enough to replicate this very popular project. We are looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share with other members. 

Welcome to the community,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rexilla99
Growing in Experience

069FBED5-1EF4-4D3E-AC81-8FFE40B78981.jpeg

Watching @royq how to post inspired me. I did mine over the weekend and took about 1 hour. The measuring up is the part that takes the longest. Once you do one panel its gets easier. I also did the trellis with a border and just uses the colorbond fence screws to hold the cables in place.

5AB286F2-218A-42D4-AD45-33267D89EAF6.jpeg

rexilla99
Growing in Experience

@leighq Nice photo. Can I ask what did you use to clip the cables where they cross each other? Also what plants are you using shown in the pic?

leighq
Growing in Experience

Hi @rexilla99  your fence looks great 👍🏻 we used very small cable ties to clip them together, I’m not sure it was necessary but my husband wanted to do it. We planted Chinese star jasmine, they are growing great hoping to have great coverage over the fence and lovely white flower in spring. We are thinking of planting some box hedging in front of it, we trying to learn at the moment. 

rexilla99
Growing in Experience

@leighq Can you please post a picture once the plants grow to the top? as I am keen to see how it looks. I have a similar set up and I am thinking if I should do 4 to 5 panels of wire trellis.

leighq
Growing in Experience

@rexilla99  Will do, we did 4 panels, we may extend a little bit more but waiting to see how these turn out. 

Well done @rexilla99, it looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing an update once the plants grow. It's fantastic to see this project by @royq inspire so many people. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Thanks for sharing,

Jason

Lidia
Just Starting Out

Hi Roy,

Just wondering what is the exact hardware you have used (cables, wire thickness, tools).

Cheers

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Lidia. We're really pleased you could join us. It's great to see that like many other members you have been inspired by this very popular project.

Let me tag @royq so he is alerted to your question. I trust he will be able to share the exact materials he used. @MitchellMc might also be able to recommend what he would use when he is back on the site tomorrow.  

I note that in his Instructibles post Roy shared the tools he used:

• Tape measure
  • Pen or marker
  • Battery powered drill or screwdriver
  • Correct drive piece for your chosen screws
  • Cable cutters
  • Gardening spade

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans for around the house and garden. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects