Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Community vegetable garden

IDIG
Having an Impact

Community vegetable garden

Started community Veg garden in retirement village , Brooklyn Park S A . Raised garden beds & potting soil from Bunnings . Growing winter crops , picking radishes & lettuce . Variety of common herbs , Enjoyed by the residents who have missed their gardens since moving into village accommodation 

Regards 

Don Applebee

A6B3F646-BBE5-411F-BC97-F89FE80E91F4.jpegC96C1495-AC1E-4494-B4E5-0C8C5FC5F17F.jpeg661E058E-0EE1-4DF4-8132-BB8BCCCBB6D2.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Community vegetable garden

Hi @IDIG,

First, let me extend a warm welcome from the Bunnings Workshop community! It is fantastic you have decided to join and share your veggie garden with us. You'll find Workshop to be a great source for inspirational projects as well as advice on things DIY and garden. Have you checked out our Top Ideas Garden page yet? There are many members here who also love working in the garden and planting veggies. Let me tag @Noelle@annettespanski@Baretta11@LisasGarden@Grub80, and @mich1972 as they will be interested in what you're growing.  

It is really wonderful you have brought gardening into your community. What have you planted this winter? Does SA do well with beetroot and spinach? 

If you ever have questions about Workshop or the site please reach out. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@IDIG 

Hi Don,

You veggie gardens look fabulous.

My garden beds are about the same height but now I wonder about trying to make them much higher as I still have to get down on my knees to work the garden.
Do you find the residents cope with the height?

I'm somewhat envious of the healthy looking plants!!

I've put some cauli seedlings in this winter, first time ever as I normally only grow corn and beans in summer. I seem to do well with them but here's hoping the cauli's do ok.

Our temp this morning was -0 ha-ha

Cheers,

Barbara

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Baretta11 (Barbara)

I totally agree that @IDIG's garden looks fabulous. Unfortunately, the cold temperatures have pretty much decimated my veggie patch and the only thing left alive is my wife's pumpkin. 

Eric

IDIG
Having an Impact

Katie ,

Beetroot & Spinach good in SA Winter . Have planted HERBS. Mint , Coriander , Parsley - Italian Flat & Curly , Sorrel , Marjoram , Thyme . VEG , Radish , Spring Onion , Silver Beet , Rocket , Pick again Lettuce , Chives , Garlic Chives , Beetroot , Pak Choi , Spinach , Sugar Snap Peas . I am trying out a potato box tower to grow potato’s  1/2 metre high by back filling soil as potatoes grow , just started last week  , Regards Don 

@Baretta11 

Barbara, 

Regarding height , so far no problems here , but I offer the other residents that I can pick for them . The best solution for you is to buy a raised bed with legs , plastic type , avail Bunnings  , you will only need minimal potting soil to fill , Other option is buy high sided raised beds , but needs a lot of potting soil  , Third option if you can still buy what you have now is to stack one on top , pop rivet some joining straps to keep in place or bang inside some tomato stakes to hold the top section in place, good luck with your next project , Regards DON

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @IDIG (Don)

I would love to see your progress on the potato box tower. Can you please tell us how you set it up and what timber you used to create the box.

Eric

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@IDIG 

Hi Don,

Thanks for the great suggestions but my garden beds are made from excess limestone blocks that were over from building our home. We could use sleepers and remove the stone but for now at 64 I can still manage and mostly get down on my knees but I know that will get harder in time ha-ha

These are my garden beds which probably are even slightly lower than yours. They are quite large and I now have one bed dedicatred to asparagus and the other to strawberries so only one garden bed for other veggies. Whilst I don't mind trying to grow veggies, my work commitments on the farm at that time of the year between Sept - Dec is crazy busy and there are times I have lost my veggies due to unpredicted neglect but  keep trying!!100_2724.JPG100_2726.JPG

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good Morning @IDIG 

Well you just made my day !!!!! I absolutely love this Community Garden, growing lots of edibles, getting everyone involved and encouraging people to Grow Your Own Edibles and enjoy them. Makes me very happy 😃 

I love the layout and look at all of those beautiful greens 🥬 

Also , welcome to the Workshop Community @IDIG 

Can you share with us what soils you used, what veggies are you growing and how the Residents are participating? 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@IDIG  Sorry ! I just scrolled down further and read what you are growing 😂 

I’m just super excited about your Community Garden 🪴 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects