Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Converting front lawn to wild life garden

PN
Having an Impact

Converting front lawn to wild life garden

Hi @EricL and @MitchellMc Hope you are keeping well. I am after some ideas and suggestions. Looking to transform the front lawn to a wild life garden. Wondering on ideas of how to start and how to go about it. I have enclosed photos of the left and right sections of the front lawn.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Partha

Left section of front lawnLeft section of front lawnRight section of front lawnRight section of front lawn

PN
Having an Impact

Re: Converting front lawn to wild life garden

Hi @MitchellMc 

First baby step on the lawn transformation. The Japanese Maple planted. All products used from Bunnings. Richgro black marvel garden compost in the hole dug, then mulch to cover after planting, 2 x stakes to support the plant and also 1 x jute twine .

I also wanted to check Mitchell what would you recommend to use as replacement for the lawn once all planting is done, which is some way off.

Many Thanks

ParthaJapense MapleJapense Maple

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for the update Partha (@PN).

I didn't realise you were planning on removing all the grassed areas. I'd recommend a substantial amount of flowering ground coverings and a selection of pebbles or hardwood mulch. Here are some suggestions for ground covers.

Check out this neat tool from Gardena for garden planning, as it will give you a good idea for spacing and your final design. Also, check out @Adam_W's  guides on How to plan a garden makeover and How to give your garden a makeover.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PN
Having an Impact

Thank you @MitchellMc .

Very helpful the suggestions for ground cover. Fair bit of work ahead on this project!

Many Thanks

Partha

I can't get the Gardena link to come up. Is it just me?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pstq

I've tested the link @MitchellMc has placed and it works just fine. Here is another avenue for you to try - Gardena. Once you are on their main website go to their menu bar at the top and click on Garden Life. There is a drop-down menu that will show you where the garden planner is. You might also want to check your anti-virus settings as they may be preventing you from going to the Gardena site.

Here is the original link: Garden Planner

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

pstq
Having an Impact

It's working today, maybe they had an outage for a while.

PN
Having an Impact

Hi @MitchellMc Mitchell

Latest photos after planting the Kangaroo paws and gravellias. Next steps bird bath and planting some ground cover.

I also wanted to check how long does Kangaroo Paw Bush Gems Inferno, Bush Dance and Frosty Red Kangaroo Paw how long do they live. I noted some kangaroo paws last only two years so hence checking.

1.Kangaroo Paw Bush Gems Inferno

2. Bush Dance (anigozanthos hybrid Syn: Rambudan

3. Anigozabthos Frosty Red (Anigozanthos rufus)

Many Thanks

Partha2021003 Front Lawn after Grav and KP planting.jpg20211003 Front Lawm pic 2 after Grav and KP.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PN,

It's the taller varieties that are hybrid mixes with Anigozanthos flavidus and Anigozanthos pulcherrimus that can last up to 20years. The Anigozanthos flavidus x rufus hybrids are also long-lived. The shorter dwarf varieties usually flower prolifically for a few years before dying off.

Your Anigozabthos Frosty Red (Anigozanthos rufus) will live for many years, but the other two I would enjoy their flowers over the next few years.

Mitchell

PN
Having an Impact

Many thanks @MitchellMc . Learning all the time !

Thanks

Partha

PN
Having an Impact

Hi @MitchellMc Mitchell

Latest photos of front lawn makeover after bird bath going in and also some small ground cover. The kangaroo paws have settled in. the Japanese Maple have copped a battering from winds but growing touch wood and the gravellias have had a slow start. 

Next step is replacing turf by layers and replace with mulch. 

thanks 

Partha20211014 Bird Bath plus Ground cover 2.jpg20211014 Bird Bath plus Ground Cover.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects