Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Creating a Compost

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Creating a Compost

Hi All

As some of you know, I'm a wildlife rescuer/carer.  I care for brushtail possums (love them or hate them LOL) and koalas.

My "patients" go thru an insane amount of leaf; Melaleuca, Robusta, and Wattle.  Since my area doesn't have green waste collection, I'd like to create a compost system for the uneaten/partially eaten leaves and uneaten fruit.   

I've looked at the start-up kits on the Bunnings website, but I'm not too sure where to start. I don't need anything too big as it's just myself, my daughter, plus any animals I may have in care.  I'd like to keep the set up as simple as possible. 

Any suggestions on how to start would be appreciated.  

Thanks!
Deanna 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Creating a Compost

Hey @Deanna,

This discussion might help get you started - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Gallery/Hot-composting-bays/cns-p/1615

How much space do you have to devote and would you prefer a D.I.Y. approach like @timjeffries and @Adam_W shared in the post above or were you thinking about just purchasing a compost bin?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Jason

I took a look at that thread, but it seemed beyond my capabilities  LOL  

I'm just after something that is simple enough to set- up and easy to maintain but is small/medium in size.  Whether it be a DIY or a compost bin. 

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Isobel  great minds think a like  :bigsmile: I was just checking this out at my local Bunnings yesterday as it looks easy to set up and maintain 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects