Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cutting back overgrown bushes

Browniebrown
Just Starting Out

Cutting back overgrown bushes

Hi guys lm new to the whole Gardening stuff my question is l have really bad bushes that overhang into my neighbor's side of the fence and l need to cut them back and even on my side l need to cut branches and bushes all back so what is the best and not to much in $$s wise as lm unemployed can l buy and use to do this job over the weekend it's a pretty big job as there are also BlackBerry bushes in amongst the stuff needing cutting Thanks Anyone with Advice 

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: Gardening

Hey @Browniebrown welcome!
The best all-rounder tool for general pruning work like that is a pair of long-handled loppers.
These ones from Fiskars are great but you can get models with longer handles & cheaper ones too.
They are handy as you can get right into shrubs & they can cut quite large branches too. Good for prickly stuff like blackberry as you don't need to get your hands into the bush.

I would still recommend some good, heavy gloves.
You'll also find a pruning saw handy for larger branches.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Cutting back overgrown bushes

Never a fun job @Browniebrown! But very satisfying when finished. Great to see you have received some expert advice from @Adam_W to make the job easier. Let us know if you need anything further. 

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We reckon you'll receive loads of helpful tips, advice and inspiration for your projects around the home and garden from our clever and creative members. Please feel free to post whenever you need a hand with anything.

Thanks for joining in the discussion,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects