Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY hidden extendable pipe garden netting/trellis frame

Nellstar
Building a Reputation

DIY hidden extendable pipe garden netting/trellis frame

Hi 

I have just purchased some 80cm colorbond raised garden beds and wanted to have the option of netting them to stop birds etc taking my delicious (future) tomatoes. So i came up with an extendable pipe system that when not in use can be unlocked and lowered back into the garden *mostly* hidden from view.

It involves a 25mm pvc pipe with a 20mm caped pvc pipe inside . I have drilled a hole at the top of the 25mm outer pipe and three holes(or could be more) in equal positions at the top/middle and bottom in the 20mm pipe and added a galvenised eye bolt to lock the inner pipe in position. 

I will bury the 25mm pipe all the way into the 80cm garden at each corner (maybe even bolting them into the corners for extra stability) before the 20mm pipe added into it. A net can then be laid over the extended pipes or even a trellis /string between them if you want to use them as bean or tomato support. All up a total cost of $30 for 6 supports!

IMG_20200707_082847.jpg

IMG20200707130019.jpg

IMG20200707131733.jpg

At lowered position

IMG20200707131620.jpg

At extended position

   

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY hidden extendable pipe garden netting/trellis frame

Hi @Nellstar,

That was quick! Only a few hours ago we were discussing what beds to buy and now you have them and have already constructed a brilliant method of hanging bird netting. This is an amazing idea and I'm going to use it for my own veggie patch if you don't mind.

I can't wait to see the garden develop, what are you going to plant first? Please also update us with a picture of the netting in place as I'm really looking forward to seeing it in position.

Thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nellstar
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell

I love to creatively problem solve solutions to projects... The raised gardens are custom made by a melbourne family so i should get them in the next few weeks(will post photos). These are pretty basic prototypes , i'd really like to have a springed latch system later on so i dont have to use nuts on the eye bolts, maybe have interchangeable tricaps so you can add a removable roof style support between them and add a hook at each corner of the raised garden to connect the net onto.

EV77
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the fab idea! I need this for my blueberry bushes which I'm hoping will fruit this spring :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects