Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Drainage for Planter Box

desaiadi
Growing in Experience

Drainage for Planter Box

Hi everyone,

So I recently finished my first DiY project of making a planter box. I have made it from 150x25mm Treated Pine with 70x35 posts as legs. 

While doing the bottom part, I was confused on what design approach should I be taking. After reviewing some videos and having a chat with couple of people, I finally decided to go for pine planks spaced out at 100mm, and then putting a steep wire mesh on top, and them covering it with water permeable weed-mat.

I am soon making a second one, and wanted to know if I should consider the other approach, which is covering the bottom part with planks (leaving minimum gap in between) and then covering with weed-mat. 

The final product is really heavy, much much heavier than I anticipated.

Your comments and suggestions shall be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers,

A

IMG_20200127_175945.jpgIMG_20200127_175914.jpg

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: Drainage for Planter Box

@desaiadi Welcome to the Community! I believe your answer may have to do with what plants you are placing in there and water type of watering regime you'll be on.

Your current design is great for plants which don't like wet feet, it will be very free-draining.

You second design would be good for veggie seedlings etc that don't particularly like extreme hot weather and drying out too quickly.

Obviously depending on how much water you give either can negate the drainage.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

desaiadi
Growing in Experience

Re: Drainage for Planter Box

Makes sense. Thanks for the input Mitchell! 

Cheers,

A

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects