Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Drip irrigation - repair or replace?

Bluetooth
Having an Impact

Drip irrigation - repair or replace?

Now that I have my irrigation tanks sorted - next step is to fix the irrigation system. There's quite an extensive system in place around the front garden with some parts cemented under the driveway, and paths. There are a lot of leaks and water shoots 4 meters into the air in parts. I'll need to either fix a lot of holes and broken tips, or start fresh. I bought some 19mm poly pipe to get started, and was looking in the irrigation aisle at Bunnings, but its a little overwhelming TBH!

What do you reckon, fix existing, and plug holes, or rip it out and start fresh?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Drip irrigation - repair or replace?

Hi @Bluetooth

The issue with an old drip irrigation system is that you can't tell if you've fully repaired all the damage. Plus it's difficult to judge if the pipes are still in good condition or if they've reached their breaking point. In this situation, I suggest making a plan with pen and paper. Going to the store unprepared is inviting information overload. There are so many options and so many combinations. I suggest reading this guide - How to install a drip irrigation watering system by @Adam_W. This will give you the fundamentals you'll need to make a robust drip irrigation system.

• Plan the route. Where do you want the irrigation pipes to go through? Will you need independent branches to reach certain plants? 
  • Measure the run with your tape measure. Keep in mind that the pipe will not run in a straight line so using a thick rope would give you an accurate measurement as it will do the twist and turns.
  • Choose a good dripper, keep in mind that the cheapest parts are not always the best option.
  • Keep your plan flexible, think ahead in two-year gaps will you be having more plants? Did you plan for added extensions to the system?

I suggest posting your plan and letting our members have a look. We can then make added recommendations to your plan. If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your drip irrigation system.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects