Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Elevated garden bed in Jarrah

Rustikman
Cultivating a Following

Elevated garden bed in Jarrah

We built these garden beds from jarrah end pieces from an auction.  They are mightily heavy. My Son (Rustikman) built them after I modified and took ideas from the Tall Man Raised Garden Bed. The actual garden bed is 40cm deep, the bottom board covers the base.  He isn't a carpenter but did a beaut job. We have a few finishes to do and then in goes soil. I will put rough bark mulch in the first layer then some pea straw. Lucky we live near Bunnings, he needed an impact drill and new drill bits for the jarrah. He planned everything and made templates for drill holes etc. We pre drilled then put in screws. The posts were from salvage and not square and many of the boards were either shorter or bent in places but its a garden bed and they look terrific. This site has been so helpful for ideas thanks @mdstorrs and @Jason. will post again when in place and filled.

20200507_105646.jpg

20200507_105504.jpg

mdstorrs
Building a Reputation

Re: Elevated Garden Bed in Jarrah

That looks fantastic @Rustikman !

I love the wood colour.  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Elevated garden bed in Jarrah

Well done @Rustikman. It looks fantastic and I'm sure will inspire many other community members. Great to see you have been inspired by @mdstorrs Tall man project

Looking forward to seeing it filled. I trust you have seen the excellent step-by-step advice shared by @Noelle - How to fill a raised garden bed.

Thanks for sharing,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rustikman
Cultivating a Following

Hi I didn't see that post but will check it out 

Thanks Jason

Rustikman
Cultivating a Following

Elevated Garden Bed in Jarrah

Here are photos of beds being filled and retic added.

We put jarrah wood chips in first for drainage, then pea straw, then sheep manure, then layers of good soil with sheep manure. I am trying out some worm towers using buckets. Vitamizing all vegie scraps. Using red tiger worms. Will post this when finished.  

20200511_115522.jpg

20200511_115547.jpg

20200511_120421.jpg

  

20200511_120433.jpg

20200515_094912.jpg

20200517_151601.jpg

Re: Elevated Garden Bed in Jarrah

Hi @Rustikman.

That looks like a fantastic organic mix to be growing in! What do you plan on planting first?

Many thanks for sharing the update on your elevated garden beds. We look forward to seeing what you plant and hearing about the success of your organically grown crop.

Mitchell

DIY04
Getting Established

Amazing design.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @DIY04.

It's fantastic to have you join us and I'm sure @Rustikman appreciates your positive feedback! I trust you'll discovery loads more inspirational projects and helpful advice, contributed by our members, which you'll find useful around your own home and garden. We look forward to hearing about your own plans and what you're up to. If you ever need to ask for advice or have a project to show, please don't hesitate to start a new discussion and share it with the community.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects