Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

First raised garden bed project

BambisLawns
Getting Established

First raised garden bed project

This is my first attempt at a raised garden bed.

3m wide by 2.4m x .9m high

Filled 3/4's of it with as much "vegetation" as I could get my hands on then topped it with 1 cubic meter of soil from a landscape nursery.

Screenshot_20211210_032600.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: First raised garden bed project

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @BambisLawns and thanks for sharing this impressive project with us.

How did you plan out this project? Did you follow any guides to create it or come up with your own plans and design?

Raised garden beds are very popular on Workshop and I'm sure community members will be keen to hear more about how you tackled this project. We'd love to see any pictures during the build if you have any.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Wow came up a treat and looks great well done :smile:  Looks nice and easy to work in as well

pepsp
Having an Impact

@BambisLawns 

Looks excellent really well presented. What size timber did you use and how did you attach the sheeting?

BambisLawns
Getting Established

Thanks for all the positive responses.

This project started as a "mow and weed" a forest of a backyard for a client.

The raised bed is at the bottom of a steepish decline of the property which was when I started a combination of weeds, grass, dead plants, more weeds and 1 chilli plant. The customer stated his desire to have a vegie patch in that area. 

I thought that a vegie patch in the ground would be soon overrun with the grass and other undesirables so I suggested having some sort of garden beds which would be easier to maintain as well as making the area look a lot better.

I was then given the green light to go ahead and work my magic. 

After two nights of surfing the web (visiting here and other gardeny sites/blogs as well as looking on the YouTube) I came back with three different styles / designs of beds (hardwood sleepers, concrete sleepers, and the timber and corrugated roofing) for the client to select which they preferred.

Once the choice was made, halfway through the preparing the area, I came to the conclusion that the slope of the ground was too great for the desired garden bed so I had to put a small retaining wall at the bottom of the yard so I could build up the ground level to make a level area for the bed to sit on. A tonne of road base and 1 and a half tonne of decomposed gravel later and that issue was solved.

A trip to the local Bunnings for some treated pine lengths (75mm x 45mm x 3m I think) and the roofing sheets to make the frame from the bed. There are eight frames all together (one for each side of the bed). Roofing sheets are attached with galvanized roofing screws. Dimensions of the bed were determined by the need to be able to reach any section of the bed easily. Once all the pieces were joined together and supports were added on the longer sections,  I finished it off with some Blackbutt decking along the top and stained the timber frame to match.     

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects