Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Frangipani losing bark

Neo19
Making a Splash

Frangipani losing bark

Hi everyone, I have put some mulch around an 18 months old frangipani which is about a meter and a bit tall. Perhaps the mulch was too close. 

It appears that the main stem lost bark around that. 

I am wondering if there's anything I could do to protect and support this tree.

It's growing okay.

IMG_20200514_113837.jpg

IMG_20200514_113807.jpg

IMG_20200514_113804.jpg

   

IMG_20200514_113744.jpg

Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

Re: Frangipani losing bark

G'day @Neo19.

It looks like collar rot from that mulch being up against it.

I'm not sure on treatment, other than moving the mulch back from the trunk, which you have done.

If nobody is able to help, I'd suggest researching collar rot and seeing what you find.

Good luck! :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Neo,

I'm sorry to hear about your frangipani losing bark. As rattle mentioned it does appear to be some type of rot which looks like it has run its course.

Let me tag @Noelle to see if she might be able to offer some assistance. What I believe is happening now is that the top portion of the plant is completely severed from its root system. If left as is, it will slowly shrivel and die over the next several months. One option might be to cut above the damaged portion, apply a rooting powder to the tip and plant back in the ground. With luck, it could take root again. I'd be interested to hear from Noelle if a cutting that size would take root.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dirtygardener
Building a Reputation

Hi Neo19

I would treat the wound with an anti-rot fungicide then allow to stay dry.

Make sure all mulch and any other matter is away from the wound so it can keep dry and eventually heal itself. This is most important.

The stakes you have in place are the best option to just give it a little bit of support.

Avoid watering over winter and give it a light feed when the weather starts to warm up.

Cheers

Hi @Neo19 and @MitchellMc 

It looks like the frangipani is beyond the stage of collar rot treatment being useful. I think cutting the trunk above the damaged area, leaving the base to dry for a day or so and then dipping in rooting powder and potting it up into a progagation mix (not standard potting mix) which will drain well, there's a good chance you'll be able to get it to strike.  Some of the lower leaves on the top growth could be removed to reduce moisture loss through transpiration. Don't tip prune the three or four main shoots because that will cause more branching - you have the basic frame of a well-shaped tree already.

You will know within a few weeks if the "cutting" is to survive.  When it comes time to plant it back into the ground, don't mulch right up to the stem - leave a ring of clear earth around it so the same thing doesn't happen again.

Thank you everyone for your inputs and time 
That’s very disappointing to hear as I really liked the tree and had some emotional importance due to the fact that my dad planted the tree last time he visited from overseas :unhappy:

I’ve noticed the rot at least a month ago and the top part of the tree appears to be going reasonably okay. Wanted to check if there is any chance that it might overcome the rot if I leave as it is? Or am I only going to spoil my chances of salvaging the top? I mean if there is no change for another month or so, can I consider I’m out of the woods or does it take months before tree shrivels and dies.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Frangipanis are fairly unique @Neo19 as unlike other plants if their source of nutrients/water is severed they do not necessarily show that immediately. On the upside, they are extremely easy to propagate from cuttings and I have several from my late Grandmother which are also very sentimental. I was actually checking on them after seeing this discussion and also have noticed some collar rot.

Just to confirm, the portion of the trunk that is affected has essentially had all the available transportation veins cut off and the top will die if left. Whether you cut the top now or leave it a while might be inconsequential, but you would certainly want to do it before it looses too much of the stored energy.

You might wish to do some research into air layering cuttings as you could potentially employ that technique here. It would involve slip cutting a small pot to fit around the trunk encapsulating the bottom live edge. This pot would be filled with soil and potentially the new roots might start forming in the pot. You would need to dust the bottom live edge with rooting hormone for this to work. Air-layering is a somewhat advanced technique and I feel you would have better luck cutting the whole plant and striking it.

Just remember every branch you have there is a potential new plant which can be propagated. I no longer have my grandmothers tree, but I took cuttings and now I have my own. They mean as much to me as her original plant did.

Mitchell

Thank you for explaining so well @MitchellMc That explains why some people leave cuttings for a while before replanting them and the cuttings still doing well!!!

Air layering sounds very interesting, I've watched a few youtube videos since reading your post and I think I might give that a go. Now I am interested in trying that for few other plants that I have too :smile: 

That sounds beautiful that you were able to make many plants out of your grandma's frangipani's and preserve her memory in a very meaningful way as well!

@MitchellMc Here it goes :smile: Hope this will work! 

IMG_20200614_123058.jpg

IMG_20200614_125432.jpg

IMG_20200614_130713.jpg

IMG_20200614_130905.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Neo19,

That looks like a very neatly done air-layering. Please, keep us updated on its progress!

We look forward to you successfully transplanting the frangipani.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects