Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front fence with raised garden beds

querencia
Building a Reputation

Front fence with raised garden beds

24737985-0E86-49F6-8021-266799AE2A29.jpeg

2664343C-C5C4-40B7-B368-D634BDF1EF5D.jpeg

With grateful thanks to @MitchellMc I’m now contemplating raised garden beds in my front yard possibly installing them as the front fence. Initially I had planned to build a picket fence placed in the middle of a long, narrow garden bed parallel to the footpath, with low flowering plants (eg alyssum, lobelia) on the footpath side and miniature climbing roses on the inside to peek through the palings. However with the kikuyu being so tough to dig through and remove, I’m now contemplating creating a front fence with Sandleford White Nuvue Raised Garden beds. As they’re only 29cm high, I’m thinking of laying weedmat first and then one or two rows of secondhand, whitewashed bricks to raise the garden beds higher. (time to learn how to mortar 🙄) Possibly even intersperse panels of picket fence between the raised garden beds.  So brains trust, what think ye? Is it a silly idea? Could you imagine it? What difficulties can you foresee? Has anyone had experience with these raised garden beds?

Many thanks in advance 💐 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front fence with raised garden beds

Hi @querencia,

My first thought would be, could we stack them on top of each other? Zenith 150mm Zinc Plated Mending Plates could be screwed into the inside walls, fixing the two units together. You could then line them with drain matting to ensure no soil escapes the join. However, I do like the idea of using secondhand whitewashed bricks and think that could look splendid too. Adding picket fencing in between would really complete the look.

Personally, I love the idea of planter boxes as a front fence. Before committing too much, I'd encourage you to contact your local council to ensure there will be no hiccups. Rules and regulations differ dramatically between councils, and there might be stipulations on what material and how a front fence can be created.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects