Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gardenias looking bare and 'stick-y'

EllaCourtney
Growing in Experience

Gardenias looking bare and 'stick-y'

I've got these gardenias planted (not by me) on the south facing wall of our house. I adore Gardenias and would so love them to thrive, but I'm worried these aren't getting enough sun (which I obviously cant do anything about). Is there anything else I could be doing to encourage them to grow? I've heard I shouldnt fertilise in winter - do I just wait until Spring and then try to nurture them a bit? More watering? 

Would love ANY advice. Complete newbie at having a garden!

Thanks!Photo on 3-7-20 at 12.11 pm #2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gardenias looking bare and 'stick-y'

Hi @EllaCourtney,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be please to help. They certainly have all the appearances of a plant which is suffering from low levels of sunlight. The extended limbs with limited branch structure and few leaves in between are some telltale signs. If you haven't applied fertiliser in the previous years it would certainly be worth a try. If there is no significant increase in branches and leaves by the end of next season, I would consider moving them to a better location and planting something that would thrive in the area instead. Like you mentioned, in the absence of sunlight which you can't do much about, no amount of fertiliser is going to create a healthy plant.

Please let me know if you need further advice or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Gardenias looking bare and 'stick-y'

Thanks so much @MitchellMc for taking the time to respond. That makes sense! 

I'll check out some fertilisers and once Spring is on us will do my best to nurture them to life! 

Cheers

Ella

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects