Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Have you installed a solar water feature in your garden?

shelly60
Finding My Feet

Have you installed a solar water feature in your garden?

I'm wondering if anyone has installed a solar water feature in their garden.  I would like a big fountain at the front entry to help mask road noise but we can't get power to the site.  it is north facing, gets no shade and we are in Bundaberg so solar makes sense but I wonder if the solar pumps are really worth the exorbitant price tag.   I am looking at something 1 metre tall and it would sit on top of the stump (which we can trim down lower if need be.

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 9.33.44 am.png

Photos and suggestions greatly appreciated. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Have you installed a solar water feature in your garden?

Hi @shelly60

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about installing a solar water feature in your garden.

I've seen solar pumps work for a long time. The only reason they break down is that they are not regularly cleaned and are operated out of water. Baring a hail storm, the solar panel will keep working and will not skip a beat. The Aquapro AP300SP Solar Pump Kit is an ideal entry unit for a solar water feature. It has a maximum head or operating height of 500mm. 

If you had a plastic container like the Aquapro 910 Round Feature Poly Pond, the Solar pump would have no problem operating in this tub size. The rule is that the tub can't be higher than the mouth of the pump outlet. If you're feeling creative you could dig out a pond and line it with a pond liner or use multiple tubs to create a waterfall effect. As long as the height of your creation is under that 500mm limit you can pretty much lay it out however you wish. I suggest having a look at this guide - How to create a pond in a pot by @Adam_W.

Here are some amazing water feature projects that our members have shared here on Workshop.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your water feature once it's built.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Have you installed a solar water feature in your garden?

Thank you  Some great ideas there.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects