Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hedging on retaining wall

Zeenat
Just Starting Out

Hedging on retaining wall

Hi, recently had two huge shrubs removed from front garden as roots were cracking the retaining wall. Not a good job cutting the trees down as the stubs are protruding just above the ground. Any suggestions on hedging that will not affect the wall and how long after the stubs were drilled into & I assumed poisoned should I wait before planting. I am in Albany WA. Nothing too costly as we are renting however I don’t mind spending on a little front face lift. Thank you 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Hedging on retaining wall

Welcome to the community @Zeenat, we are really pleased you could join in the discussion and look forward to seeing you transform your front garden.

Let me tag a couple of experts in @Noelle and @Adam_W who might like to kick off the discussion and recommend some hedging plants for you. 

You might also find these previous discussions helpful:

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Hedging on retaining wall

Hi @Zeenat 

If the stumps were drilled into and poisoned with glyphosate or similar, there is minimal risk to new plantings because this herbicide does not travel through the soil from the roots of one plant to another. However, if you are concerned then wait 2-3 weeks before putting in new shrubs.

Anything you plant as replacements for the two large shrubs removed may pose a risk to the retaining wall because they will have roots! However, smaller shrubs that will grow to around 1-1.5m and can be pruned to form a hedge, like coastal rosemary (westringia), hebes (veronica) and dwarf lillypillies, will have much smaller root systems that should not be too damaging.

Have a look around your neighbourhood and local garden centre to see what's available and what other people are growing. Local knowledge is your best resource.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects