Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help: How to protect Fruit Tree from wind

Budding Contributor

Help: How to protect Fruit Tree from wind

Good day!

I prepared a 600mm tall raised bed for my kumquat calamondin tree due to garden soil not suitable for in ground planting.

My biggest dilemma at the moment is strong wind beating my fruit tree. Based on the attached photo showing where the raised bed will be permanently installed, what would you suggest for me to make or buy as wind barrier for my fruit tree?

I have not transplanted yet, when transplanted on this raised bed the tree will be at 1.5m high from the ground.

Thanks in advanced. Cheers!

98263831-1474-467A-8B22-3631AA5E4654.png

Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect Fruit Tree from wind

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @GarryM. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I'd start by investing in a good thick stake similar to Lattice Makers 38 x 38 x 1800mm Single Hardwood Garden Stake. Try to place it as central as possible in the raised bed and firmly attach the trunk of the kumquat to it with jute webbing.

In most normal circumstances that would be all that is needed to support a fruit tree. If for some reason you experience higher than normal winds in that position you could look a creating a wind barrier. Obviously, you would want it to be functional but still look nice too.

I could suggest some of these as options:

You could cement a couple of timber posts into the ground and fix the panel to them. Alternatively, using a couple of Whites 180cm Premium Black Ultraposts would also work. Installing any of the panels would certainly reduce the wind buffeting the tree.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Budding Contributor

Thanks @MitchellMc  for the great and detailed tips! I am very excited to do the transplant today 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙂

Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@GarryM,

Make sure you post some photos once you do as I trust our members would like to see your efforts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects