Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help me to prepare soil for plants

PraveenS1
Growing in Experience

Help me to prepare soil for plants

How do I prepare soil for the spring just to avoid getting fungal disease to the plants. Last two years I am having fungal disease to my plants and I have get ridden all of the plants and plan to start from zero again. Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards

Praveen

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Help me to prepare soil for plants

Hi @PraveenS1,

Could you please tell us a little more about where and what you are planting? Is this in a garden bed, a planter or a pot? How much sun does it get? And what are you trying to grow?

You might find the following articles from @Noelle helpful:

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PraveenS1
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the reply Jason,

I am planting veggies like spinach, beetroot, coriander, green chilli etc. The area is direct ground with half shade and half sun throughout the day.

Hello @PraveenS1,

Thanks for sharing more details about what you're growing and your sun conditions. 

Jumping in quickly to add that you might also find our Best Advice article on growing coriander useful, which states it's important to keep your soil temperature as low as possible. You can check out the article here: How do you stop coriander going to seed? 

Also tagging @Adam_W for his expert thoughts on your question. I'm sure @EricL will also be able to help once he's online later in the day.

Akanksha

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PraveenS1

If you've been having fungus growth in your garden for the last two years there is the possibility that your soil is still infected with fungus. If you are planning to plant new vegetables, I suggest planting them in an independent container with new fresh soil. The odds of re-infection will be high unless you treat the affected soil first. Some of the common methods of treating the soil are by sterilizing it with hot water or covering it with a tarp and letting the sun bake the soil for several weeks. 

The drawback to these methods is that it kills both good and bad bacteria rendering the soil totally sterile. It'll be necessary to add new nutrients and additives to rejuvenate the soil for planting. Unfortunately, if you miss an area of your garden that still has fungus in it they will infect the area again. My only other suggestion is to find another spot for your garden that's in full sun and where the soil is not waterlogged.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to the start of your vegetable garden.

Eric

PraveenS1
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing your experience and time taken to give the suggestion. Mostly appreciated.

Thanks Again

Regards

Praveen

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects