Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help need with plant selection for front garden

EllaB
Finding My Feet

Help need with plant selection for front garden

  

347DAE5E-E5C0-465B-AA90-385A770432B2.jpeg

B225C00C-74EF-4A39-A37D-A61244DD1783.jpeg

86118AF6-991A-44F9-B84B-A7FA76FA123B.jpeg

Can anyone suggest some sort of plant we can plant in our front garden to replace the ones in the picture. We are happy for something with a similar look but the ones that were there have spikey bits inside them and we have young children. This is a north facing front yard so lots of sunlight. We need two rows of them one along the  fence and one along the deck. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help with Plant Selection

Hello @EllaB

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about plant selection.

If you are after plants that are easy to take care of with no spikey bits on them, I suggest looking at succulents. They come in a large variety of colours and species. They are very hardy plants and don't require constant watering. You can combine them with rocks and colourful pebbles to make a nice organic display that is very low maintenance.

I noticed that your garden tap is right next to the water meter. I propose turning it into a display with a bird feeder. In that manner, you can raise the position of the garden tap and have birds in your garden as well. I've drawn up a sketch to give you an idea of what it might look like. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EllaB
Finding My Feet

Thank you for your suggestions Eric. We were wanting plants that were a bit bushier to cover the deck footing so something larger than succulents if you have any suggestions? @Noelle  are you able to suggest some plants that would suit the brief above? Something similarly to what was there but that doesn’t have spiky bits growing in the middle. 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @EllaB 

Low growing shrubs/tall ground covers/grasses would work well.

Suggestions include candytuft (Iberis), gaura, plectranthus, salvia, liriope, lomandra, brachycombe, argyranthemum (African daisies), society garlic (tulbaghia), dietes.

Have a wander through these sections at Bunnings to see what else catches your eye.

049459B2-0CB7-4C98-83A3-CE9946A000FC.jpeg

Thank you for the suggestions @Noelle. We ended up going with so liriope along the fence and Daniella revoluta along the deck. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks amazing @EllaB!  I trust you are ecstatic with how your make-over has turned out. So glad @Noelle's suggestions were helpful.

Many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects