Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hole and insects

gore
Building a Reputation

Hole and insects

IMG_20200911_105513.jpg

After the yesterday rain,when i was looking to my plants i found all my corn plants leaves,mustard plant leaf were eaten and trying to go inside the radish plant roots. When i removed my pots seen underneath and above it on many.                                                     Near to the lemon tree plants seen a whole and those insects also i saw it over there. Can you please guide to rectify it .

IMG20200911104325.jpg

IMG20200911104242.jpg

pestie1
Just Starting Out

Re: Hole and insects

Pill bug - Slater.

0BD40AC7-D0CB-4EF0-B3EC-249B5B8EC67A.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gore,

I'm not sure if these little guys are the cause of your corn plants leaves and mustard plant leaves being eaten. I could recommend a poison to kill them but they might not be the culprits. They only occasionally eat young plants.

Can we please have a look at the damaged leaves as that might give us an indication of what actually destroyed them.

What do you think @mich1972, are the slaters the culprits or just innocent bystanders?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @pestie1. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

I trust @gore appreciates your assistance in identifying the Slaters.

Are you a gardener yourself or have you had any previous experiences with Slaters in your own garden?

We look forward to hearing about your projects around the house and garden and we'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or had something to share with the community. I trust you'll fit right in with our other knowledgable gardeners in the community.

Mitchell

gore
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc,

I always love to make my hands dirty in the garden.I stay with others .they have small place made for gardening so i like to work on it.

Though i am passionate to work outside on this field  but i did not get chance now.So at least my interest & hobbies and passion all i feel on it.

Like i said before i planted mix vegetables seeds for this season.So i grow sweet corn on the wall side,in front of that small plants like mustard leafy veg,beans,broad beans,coriander, etc  like that i try to manage it.

Last week I also bought mango,avocado and orange plant last time from Bunnings. I will post next time pictures of it.

Though you mentioned the name "Slater"i searched it. i feel its very useful too for the garden soil but not to the young plants that's why they ate my baby corn plants,isn't it?

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@gore,

Slaters normally don't harm young plants and it could be another insect hiding from view. They are good for the garden but if they have eaten the plants it is frustrating. There is poison to kill them but it is not good for use on plants you eat. It is a poison for humans also. It would be best to remove the ones you see and hope for no further attacks.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects