Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How I built raised garden beds

DavidJones
Getting Established

How I built raised garden beds

We moved into our new home with its very lovely, low maintenance tropical garden. There was just one thing missing; somewhere to grow some vegetables and herbs. At 70, bending down to plant and weed and maintain a vegetable garden didn't seem very smart so the solution was to build some raised garden beds. We had an ideal location that would be bathed in sun most of the day. Off to Bunnings to buy treated pine timber for the frame, colourbond sheeting for the sides and concrete mix to anchor it in place and provide an easy care mowing strip. Before cutting the timber to size I stained it in its 4.8m lengths. The frame is external with no wet soil in contact to rot the wood and no possibility of leeching from the preservative in the timber into the soil. I built 2 raised garden beds, each 800mm high  2400mm long and 800mm deep. I ensured that they were located 600mm off the fence line so that you can work the garden from both sides. The finished job looks quite good, don't you think?

20210525_131025.jpg

20210525_131054.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How I built raised garden beds

Hello @DavidJones

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your raised garden bed project.

Your raised garden bed not only looks good but is very well planned. You've taken into consideration the timber and soil contact, plus you've provided an excellent anchor with the concrete mix. The best part I think is that you've considered its usability. Both sides can be serviced at the same time. 

Please keep us updated with your project, we look forward to seeing your raised garden bed full of plants.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects