Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How add a sprinkler to an existing irrigation pipe?

vng
Getting Established

How add a sprinkler to an existing irrigation pipe?

Is there a way to add a small sprinkler to an existing irrigation pipe ? The hole in the pipe (brown) appears to have something installed tightly behind it.

What should I use to add a micro sprinkler using the existing holes ?

IMG_20211024_154823.jpgCapture.PNG

vng
Getting Established

How do I close an irrigation hole ?

I'm not sure how to close a hole in an irrigation pipe. It's in a section of the garden where no plants are grown. I have some hole plugs which I bought but they don't appear to fit as there's something blocking the holes. Is there any way to plug up the hole ?

Is this some sort of pre-installed irrigation tube ? 

IMG_20211024_154823.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How add a sprinkler to an existing irrigation pipe?

Welcome @vng. It's great to have you join us and thanks for your question.

I've merged your two questions about this into the same discussion to make it easier for members to jump on and share suggestions in the same place. 

@Adam_W recently shared Understanding a drip irrigation watering system and may be able to offer advice here. Our resident D.I.Y. experts @EricL and @MitchellMc will also be happy to help with your questions.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vng

My apologies for the late reply. The hard item you are feeling in the hose is a Holman 13mm Beige Barbed Poly Joiner or a version of it. It seems that when the irrigation hose was joined together, it was not cut far enough. To cover the hole in the hose, I suggest using Rust-Oleum 25.4mm x 3.04m Clear LeakSeal Self-Fusing Silicone Tape for long-term repair of the leak.  Using any other type will not provide a long-term solution. 

If you are connecting 4mm sized parts, you will need to use the Pope 4mm Sealing Plug And Punch Spanner. The Punch Spanner will provide you with a clean entry point in the hose for the Pope 360° Micro Eze Jet Spray. If you notice that the entry point is excessively leaking, I recommend changing the barbed adapter on the Micro Eze Jet Spray to a Pope 4mm Threaded / Barbed Adaptor. Please remember to gently screw the adapter into the hole of the hose. Do not force push it into the hole as this will not give you a good positive seal.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

vng
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

I have got the  Pope 360° Micro Eze Jet Spray as recommended but realised that the area that I need to reach is further than the length of the tube. Is there a way to extend the length of the hose ?

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @vng,

Eric is on a well-earned break at the moment, but our other resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to help when he's back on the site tomorrow.

Stevie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @vng,

I note that the tube is not long enough to reach the desired area, but will the additional length of the spray reach the site? The spike would be placed into the ground next to the area you want to irrigate, and then the jet has a radius spray throw up to 1.5 metres. So the tube doesn't need to reach the entire way to the area you want to be watered. However, you can extend/replace the hose with Holman 4mm x 10m Irrigation Drip Flex Tube and Pope 4mm Barbed Off-Take Joiners.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi @vng 

Sorry I have missed this earlier and the other feedback. The sort of sprinkler you have in the brown pipe is a dripper line. They have fixed output emitters everywhere you see one of those holes. They are designed to wet the soil underneath it and are very efficient ways of watering.  https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-13mm-x-30m-drip-eze-drip-irrigation-tube_p3120300

Rule-of-thumb is that you should never run drippers and sprays on the same line. This is because they need to run for different periods of time. So NO - I wouldn't recommend you adding a micro sprinkler to your dripper line. Neither can you just poke a micro-spray into that hole - it would never seal and would leak and it wouldn't work because you wouldn't have enough water coming out to make it work. 

You could however run additional drippers off the dripper line if you wanted to do that. Use a 4mm barbed joiner and some micro-tube as per the DIY video on the topic. Installing Irrigation Sprayers And Drippers - Bunnings Australia

Hope that makes sense. 

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: How do I close an irrigation hole ?

HI @vng 

These inline dripper tubes are fairly simple things but you cannot close them off if you don't have a plant there. They are designed to wet the soil underneath the dripper so are really watering an area - not just the particular plant. So if you have other plants in the area - you are not wasting water - the plants roots will be using it - don't worry. 

If there is nothing else in the area and you are determined then you will need to cut the inline dripper out by cutting the whole dripper about (about 6cm) and then putting in a couple of joiners of the same size pipe and a short bit of hose and clamps. Might be best to take a piece of the pipe into your Bunnings store and ask them to give you the right size pipe, joiners and clamps. Normally it's 13mm but there are other sizes.  Pope 13mm Single Barbed Joiner - Bunnings Australia and Pope 13mm Locking Clamp - Single - Bunnings Australia

Good luck. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects