Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I block a gap under my fence?

newbiegardener
Getting Established

How can I block a gap under my fence?

Hi everyone, 

I have a project I'm a bit stuck on. I'd like to add a small garden along my back fence, however there is a (roughly) 140mm gap between a retaining wall (as I am the higher property) and the actual back fence. 

I'd like to know what everyone thinks about the best way to block this off, but also if I'd need to build a barrier from the fence for my garden for both the weight of the new soil and also to avoid any damage to the fence. 

Hope my question makes sense and happy to answer any follow up questions. 428004859_392824113334971_2823433484043578696_n.jpg

427867000_1050147756085452_7007270758545947768_n.jpg

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Re: How can I block a gap under my fence?

Hi @newbiegardener,

You can fairly easily cover the gap using a sleeper such as 200x50mm Sleeper H4 Sienna Micropro. You'd just want to screw it into one of the posts using a batten screw such as Buildex 16-8x100mm Climacoat Type 17 Timber Construction Screw.

Let me know what you think,

Jacob

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @newbiegardener, 

Thanks for sharing your question about blocking the gap under your fence. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @JacobZ95. I totally agree with his recommendation of using 200x50mm Sleeper H4 Sienna Micropro.It's termite resistant and is safe to use for use in vegetable gardens.

If you are worried about spilling the soil to the front and want to keep the garden bed small, I propose using another sleeper at the front and building a mini-raised garden bed. You'll then be able to put in fresh soil and have your plants slightly higher off the ground.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jacob, 

That makes a lot of sense! Will give that a try!

Thank you

Hi @newbiegardener,

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to build a simple raised garden bed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects