Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I build a plant pergola for climbing plants?

sulficm
Just Starting Out

How can I build a plant pergola for climbing plants?

Hi,

I want to build a sort of pergla structure to spread some plants like grape wines, Passion fruit, Chokko vegitables etc, 

where I have a cemented area behind my car porch , and also some extention to my veggie patch to put some shades.

Something like a roof height ( 2-2.5 mtrs ).

Is wooden or steel will be ideal ?

How can I attach it to the roof on one side ?

If metal, can I do without welding ( screws etc )Garden-Pergola.jpg

sulficm
Just Starting Out

Re: How can a build a plant pergola for climbing plants

Something similar to the photo. This is just a sample, random image from Internet.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can a build a plant pergola for climbing plants

Hello @sulficm

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a pergola.

You can use either wood or metal for your pergola, both material options are possible. However, timber is much easier to work with as you only need a saw to cut wood. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to build a pergola. One of the best options for a climbing frame is using Wire Mesh. I recommend using ones with larger gaps between the mesh so that it will be easy to train your climbing plants. Once the plants have established themselves they will grow into the mesh.

If you want to have partial shade in your pergola you can use Shade Cloth and simply attach it to the timber frame using a Staple Gun. I suggest getting pen and paper and making a rough sketch of your plan with measurements. Share the plan with the community and we will make suggestions and recommendations on how to proceed.

You might find these previous discussions helpful:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects