Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I save my lawn?

ZacDuff
Finding My Feet

How can I save my lawn?

Help!

I've had a beautiful lawn for 3 or 4 years. We didn't lay the grass and I assume it's Buffalo.

Since Christmas the lawn has been getting worse and worse.

Any ideas?

Is it a drainage issue? Disease? Grubs?

IMG_20240225_143354884.jpg

IMG_20240225_143342756.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How can I save my lawn?

Hi @ZacDuff,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. It's great to have you join the community.

I suspect our members might need a little more information to assist. Can you please tell us where you are based and what the weather has been like in recent times? What is your watering regime? And have you ever fed the lawn?

If you could please let us know, I'm sure our members will be very happy to help.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jason, good point!

I'm based in Brisbane, it's been quite humid lately.

It started to turn bad around Christmas time and we have had a few big down pours. It hasn't been regular rain but often getting a few inches in one storm then humid days to follow.

That's what made me think drainage issues?

The soil underneath is quite damp

Sorry, also, I haven't felt the need to water since Christmas due to rain. I do fertilise but not regularly, maybe twice a year

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ZacDuff,

Your lawn actually looks quite healthy, though I suspect it is under-fertilised. Can you let us know a little more about your fertilisation regime? The type of fertiliser you are using would be helpful.

If you can check a few days after it has rained or you've watered to see if the soil is still saturated, then that would give us a good idea of whether drainage could be an issue and whether the lawn is holding too much water. After a few days from the last watering, the lawn should be drying out.

If your lawn is still quite damp after several days from the last time it received water, you might like to check out this helpful article: How to fix a muddy lawn.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitch. I use this type of fertiliser, but probably only twice a year and it's generally spread as opposed to precisely measured.

I took some other photos as I've noticed these spots lately which I had read about.

Also, the other photo shows the size of the mango tree. The worst areas are under and around the canopy

Screenshot_20240228-132155.png

IMG_20240228_131835356.jpg

IMG_20240228_131903438.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ZacDuff 

The Lawn Solutions Australia 10kg Premium Lawn Fertiliser is a good fertilizer as it has both fast and slow-release granules. According to the application advice it is possible to apply the fertilizer during spring, summer and autumn. But it is suggested not to use it if the temperature is in excess of 30 degrees Celsius.

In regards to the areas with no grass, I suggest tilling the soil and adding top dress over it. I then recommend seeding it with Scotts Lawn Builder 1.3kg Seed & Feed Sun & Shade Lawn Seed or similar. It will take some time but eventually the seeds will mature and cover up the bald spots on your lawn.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects