Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I care for my Buxus hedges?

aly
Making a Splash

How do I care for my Buxus hedges?

Hi workshop, I have a number of little hedges in my front yard, Korean Buxus ones, that I'm after some care info on. They've been in for a little under a year and are doing well although some of the leaves have turned yellow. I was told to give them lime (I think it was) but wasn't too sure. So I'm here to ask what and when do I fertilise these with? Thanks.

1000003230.jpg

HitOrMiss
Finding My Feet

Re: How do I care for my Buxus hedges?

may be worth doing a PH test before adding lime to get a rough idea of how much you may need to apply, if at all, buxus do prefer slightly above neutral PH, so if you were to add anything to change the PH of the soil it would be a liming product. 
if you want to give it a feed heading into winter, something like seamungus may work well.
i will state i have a personal bias/preference towards organics.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @aly 

Thanks for sharing your question about your Buxus hedge. It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @HitOrMiss. I suggest following their advice regarding the PH Test

In regards to the lime, I suggest having a look at the Richgro 5kg Natural Dolomite Lime and here is the link to the Neutrog 15kg Seamungus Garden Fertiliser. If your leaves continue turning yellow, I suggest observing the moisture of the soil. Over and underwatering can also stress the plant causing its leaves to turn yellow. 

I suggest investing in a Brunnings 3 in 1 Soil Meter (Moisture/pH/Light) so you can keep track of the moisture level of the soil.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @HitOrMiss 

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience regarding plant care. 

We are keen to hear more about all your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out whenever you need assistance or would like to share a project with the community.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aly
Making a Splash

Fabulous, thank you so much for the info! Will pick up some Seamungus next time i'm in store!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects