Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I eradicate kikuyu grass?

ronhume
Just Starting Out

How do I eradicate kikuyu grass?

In order to establish a garden on a barren rear yard, I first need to eradicate the kikuyu grass.

What product do I need to do this?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I eradicate kikuyu grass?

Hi @ronhume

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about eradicating Kikuyu grass.

If you're planning on re-turfing your yard and the area has been overrun with Kikuyu grass, I suggest using Roundup 5L Fast Ready To Use Pump N Go Weedkiller. Please note that this will kill the Kikuyu and any other grass it comes in contact with. Please make sure to spray only in the area you wish to re-turf. This ready-to-go weedkiller will cover approximately 75 square meters.

Once all of the weeds and grass are dead, you'll need to manually remove all of them. This is the best time to remove any rocks and debris in the soil. Make sure to follow the recommended waiting time before you start adding additives and soil to your existing area.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay turf.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects