Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix this?

pru696
Finding My Feet

How do I fix this?

  We are currently renting and would like to put some effort into the garden....

What can we do at minimal cost?

Screenshot_2021-08-08-14-14-37-48_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-08-14-14-30-76_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

  

IMG20210808132346.jpg

IMG20210808132635.jpg

IMG20210808132657.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I fix this?

Hi @pru696,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. 

Can you please provide a little more information about the problems in the garden that you are trying to address? I'm sure our members would be more than happy to assist when they understand the challenges you are facing and your goals for the project. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Jason

As our driveway is on a steep hill we are experiencing erosion in our front garden which has quite a bit of leaf matter has been placed in there by previous tenantsI.

'm just wondering how we can improve the erosion situation, also our letter box has come out of the ground. It doesn't appear to have previously been cemented in so we also need to look at getting that back in. 

we have a Gumtree in the front yard which is not shallow-rooted at the moment I'm just not sure what affects the gardening will have on the Gumtree

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pru696,

Can I please clarify if you own the property or if you are renting it? Obviously, if you are renting, there are certain limitations on what you'll be able to achieve.

For the erosion issue, I'd suggest that you'll need to install garden edging across the slope every meter or so, creating a tiered effect. You can then build the tiered sections up with mulch, and the edging will prevent it from travelling down the slope. For a more permanent solution, you might like to follow @Adam_W's guide: How to build a retaining wall. Installing these retaining walls across the slope as per the description above will be more substantial than the edging method.

It sounds like you're on the right track with the letterbox, as it'll need to be concreted into the ground. Start by digging a hole 300x300x450mm deep. Fill the hole with water and then pour in two Australian Builders 20kg Quick Set Concrete bags, mixing them thoroughly as you go. Place the letterbox post centrally into the mixture and use some timber stakes on a diagonal to support it in position whilst the concrete dries.

I can't imagine any aesthetical gardening is going to affect a deep-rooted gum tree. Were there any particular concerns you had or major landscaping works on the horizon?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects