Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I get rid of mould on my bedding begonias?

AnnetteWalsh
Finding My Feet

How do I get rid of mould on my bedding begonias?

My begonias constantly get mould on them.  I cut them back and spray with Mancozeb but it still comes back.

Looking for assistance from gardening experts.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I get rid of mould on my bedding begonias?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AnnetteWalsh. We're pleased to have you join us and trust that you'll receive loads of helpful advice and inspiration for helping to make your garden grow and for all your other projects around the home. 

Let me tag the wonderful @Noelle to see if she has any suggestions for caring for your begonias. 

You should also find this Bunnings resource helpful: How to grow and care for a begonia. Note that it mentions that begonias hate wet feet – that is, they don't like the soil or potting mix to be continually wet. It also says powdery mildew is the most common ailment, but is easily treated by spraying with fungicide and then providing good air circulation.

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AnnetteWalsh

Thank you for sharing your question about mould in the bedding of your begonias.

It's great that you've received advice from my colleague @Jason. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of where your begonias are located in? Observing it throughout the day, does it get a lot of sunshine, or is it constantly in shade? Is there a source of water that tends to stay around your begonias? Getting a better idea of its location and the circumstances surrounding it will give us a better idea of what to recommend. 

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your photos. 

Eric

Katarin
Finding My Feet

Hi Annette, I'm just wondering how much sun the begonias are getting. I'm not sure if the variety of begonias you have prefer shade, yet enough sunlight usually kills off mould spores. The other thing I would look at is whether there is mulch or garden matter smothering the base of the begonias, that would create humidity and as a result, mould. If there is a way to increase air circulation around the begonias, that might help. 

Cheers, Katarin

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Katarin. I'm sure @AnnetteWalsh really appreciates it. It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge and experience to share with the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to reading more of your posts soon.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members in return for your contributions.

Thanks again,

Jason

Hi Jason

Thank you for your response.

I have attached two photos.  The one in the hanging basket gets lots of sun during the day and the one in the pot gets a tiny bit of morning sun.  Your advice is appreciated.

IMG_0029.jpgIMG_0030.jpg

Thanks for the acknowledgement Jason. Unfortunately I didnt read your responses in full and jumped in with possible doubling up of advice.

To Annette, as mentioned above re wet feet, I just wonder if the hanging basket has full drainage or if it has a liner that blocks drainage. A Doctor of Botany friend swears that fungal spores are already in the soil and can affect any plant - going on that theory, if you're going to remove the plant and start again, try fresh potting mix (if you aren't already!)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AnnetteWalsh

Thank you so much for the photo updates.

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Katarin. I totally agree with the recommendation of re-potting the plants. It does not seem that it is in an overly shaded area. There is no source of puddled water, the only other possible source is the soil or the container itself. I suggest using fresh Brunnings 35cm Coconut Fibre Basket Liner for your hanging basket. Do not re-use the soil in any other planting area as this is already contaminated with mould. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your begonias re-potted.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects