Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I tighten the handles on my lawn mower?

Robbybob8
Finding My Feet

How do I tighten the handles on my lawn mower?

I have a lawn mower n I put it together n the handles r loose how do I fix them

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: lawn mower

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Robbybob8. It's wonderful to have you join us and many thanks for your question about tightening lawnmower handles.

Could you post an image of where they are loose? That would be really helpful for our members in determining what type of tightening mechanism they have. I'm sure once we have those details assisting you to tighten the handles will be a synch.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

received_675130663639702.jpeg

 this is loose here

Thanks for that, @Robbybob8.

That knob would be designed to fit on the midsection of the handle halfway up. It's hand tightened so you can fold the handles down easily when needed. You'd generally find just a bolt and nut that gets tightened with a spanner in the location pictured. 

It might be best if you disassemble all the handle sections for me and lay all the pieces out on the ground. Take a picture of all the pieces, including the bolts, and I'll label them all for you and explain where they go. Do you have your manual handy? It might make things a bit clearer for you as well.

If it's one of our machines, please let me know the brand and model as well. 

Mitchell

1647058012411715688162521702892.jpg

Keen to see those additional images of the parts and hear about the machines model @Robbybob8. I'll then be able to assist further. Bit of a mystery without them as different brands have alternate fixing arrangements.

Normally that lower handle section doesn't fold down, it stays fixed. It's the top part of the handles that folds down and has the plastic knob to tighten that section. Were there any plain bolts supplied? If so, they go at the point and the plastic knobs secure the top part of the handle. It looks like you might also have the incorrect part of the handle attached to the mower body. This could be the top section.

The reason why I believe this is the wrong section of the handle is that I'd expect to see a flat section that has a lug that matches up to the three angle adjustment holes. The handle section in your image is round and there is no lug portion for the locking holes. I believe this is the top portion of the handles. Have a look at the image below, this is what I'd expect to see and without that lug section there's nothing but the knob to stop the handle slipping.

Even if this mower is from a competitor, please let me know the details and I'll look it up to be able to assist you.

Mitchell

handle.png

I have fixed it thank u

Would you be able to let us know how you fixed the issue @Robbybob8? I trust any of our members with a similar problem that come across this discussion would appreciate any advice you can provide.

Mitchell

Hello I had the handles the wrong way 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects