Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How long do tomatoes take to ripen?

balaji27
Building a Reputation

How long do tomatoes take to ripen?

Hello,

Can you please advise how long it takes for the tomato to ripe in the plant? My plant produced tomatoes, but still not turned red. Is there anything I should be doing to speed up the ripening process. Your guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Balaji.Tomatoes yet to ripen...Tomatoes yet to ripen...

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tomatoes not ripening fast

Hello @balaji27 

Thanks for sharing your question about your tomatoes. Once the tomato is full size, it takes about 20-30 days for the full-size green tomato to turn red. This will vary a little depending on the variety you plant in your garden.

The most common reasons for tomatoes not ripening are high temperatures, too much nitrogen in the soil, too many fruits on one plant, and the type of tomato you're growing. It appears that the plant and the tomatoes on the vine are healthy. I suggest giving it more time to ripen and mature. 

Let me call on @Noelle and @Mitch for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your tomatoes ready to harvest.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
balaji27
Building a Reputation

Thanks a lot Eric for the insights and guidance. Sure I will give it more time, may be a new gardener's impatience.

I will update the developments for sure, thanks.

Best regards

Balaji.

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Spot on, @EricL !

Day to day weather conditions can play quite a role too. Patience is all that is required by the look of the very healthy plants and developing tomatoes.

Where I live, if your first tomatoes are ready to pick by Christmas, you're doing well!

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Hello @Noelle , @EricL 

Happy to share that I harvested my first 2 tomatoes from my plant. Others are turning red as well. Thanks to Noelle, Eric and Team for the guidance and advice.

Please refer to the pics.

Thanks

Balaji.20231221_090714.jpg20231221_090722.jpg20231221_091125.jpg20231221_090737.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

They look terrific. Well done @balaji27 and many thanks for sharing.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
balaji27
Building a Reputation

Thanks Jason, you guys are amazing and thanks a lot for the encouragement.

Now this makes me happy ! Nothing better than homegrown edibles. Enjoy your crop and well done to you @balaji27 🪴🐝😃

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

That's terrific @balaji27 !  Hope they taste as good as they look 😋

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Great advice @Noelle and @EricL 

Can I add that it is technically naturally produced ethylene gas that triggers the reddening. The extra warmth is required as well and the fruits naturally produce ethylene. This is why advice is given to ripen green tomatoes in a bag with Banana's. 

Keep the quesions coming @balaji27 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects