Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much ground clearance for a deck in Victoria?

jmark5490
Just Starting Out

How much ground clearance for a deck in Victoria?

I want to build a deck. Was wondering how much of clearance from ground I need to build it in Victoria? Does it depend apon the wood that I choose to build with?

There is an area that includes foundation and a part of it is on ground. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How much ground clearance for a deck in Victoria?

Hello @jmark5490 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about ground clearance for your deck.

According to the Australian Standards all decks should be a minimum of 400 mm from the underside of the lowest timber to the ground. However, I recommend checking the rules and regulations of your local council as their height requirements might be different.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area where you plan to install the deck? Can you also please tell us the proposed size of the deck? I suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W. This guide will give you a good idea of how to plan your decking frame.

I also suggest having a look at the Bunnings deck building guide:

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask while working on your deck.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects