Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add drainage along a wall?

flolemens
Finding My Feet

How to add drainage along a wall?

Hi Community,

I've had some moisture building at the base of the wall, and I'm planning to put drainage with ag pipe. Any advice on how to do it? Should I use drainage gravel and then lay the Stretch Ag-Pipe ? Anything else?

IMG20220927065736.jpgIMG20220927065756.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Drainage along a wall

Hi @flolemens,

What sort of moisture are we talking about here? Is it standing surface water that doesn't go away for a few days after rain or just moist soil? If you have standing water, then the Ag-pipe will undoubtedly help it drain away. 

You'll need to dig a trench 65mm wide and around 200mm deep that slopes away from the area and to your drain. You'd then lay your socked Ag-pipe in the trench and backfill it with drainage gravel.

This step-by-step guide on How to install garden drainage should come in handy.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc ,

thanks for your advice. Well, it does not stand surface water but it kind of infiltrates and the bottom is a bit wet/humid. So I thought drainage would stop the soak. Thoughts?

Adding drainage will allow the water a place to escape @flolemens, and once it has, the soil will dry out faster.

Where does that air-conditioner release its wastewater? Quite often, the area next to an AC unit can be quite wet/humid due to the water it produces. It might be worth diverting this wastewater pipe away from the area as well.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

The most important thing you want to fix is where the water is going. You need fall *away* from the house so any water drains elsewhere and does not go near your walls or slab. If you have downpipes which are not caught and directed towards a stormwater drain, that's another thing to fix (including the a/c as MitchellMc suggests).

I have learned a lot by watching YouTube videos from two American drainage experts – Apple Drains and Gate City Foundation Drainage. They share a lot of their knowledge.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects