Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach slatted panels on to the fence?

ehsantl
Growing in Experience

How to attach slatted panels on to the fence?

Hi folks,

I bought a couple of vertical slatted timber panels that I was planning to attach on to the fence to make the boring fence a bit nicer.

I was planning to add/screw 3 rails 70 x 35mm timber to the existing posts and screw the panel on the new rails. 

Looking at the panels, the gap between each slat is 5mm and I don't think there is any galvanised timber screw long enough with a head max 5mm. my original plan was to screw the panels into the rails between the slat to hide the screws. 

Any ideas? is there any thin screw I can use between the slats? or any other way you recommend to attach these panels? 

Thanks 

IMG_6935.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach slatted panels on to the fence?

Hello @ehsantl

Thank you for sharing your question about how to attach slat panels to your fence. The horizontal panels holding the slats unfortunately are not lined up with your fence rails. Ideally, this is the spot where you want to drill into so that you don't see the screws holding the panel. The issue is that if we were to add or install another piece of timber at the back of the panel we would need to either nail or screw that timber piece and we would see it at the front. 

To install the panel, I suggest using Buildex 10-8 x 50mm Climacoat® 3 Countersunk Rib Head Treated Pine Screws - 50 Pack. The screw is designed to be used on treated timber. It has superior corrosion protection and is specially made for exterior use. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @ProjectPete for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ehsantl
Growing in Experience

I’ve ended up adding 90x35 treated timber as a base and couple of 50x25 as railing so panels can sit flush next to each other and the base holding the weight at the bottom 

I’ve also used trim head screws which made it possible to screw between the palings

7C8EF65C-1025-4B0F-A601-EA2619191834.jpeg

0D0D0843-A5B7-49F4-AF21-315FDEA108BE.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Fantastic result @ehsantl! Great work finding the trim head screws that were suitable for your 5mm gap.

Many thanks for sharing your finished work and solution.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects