Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a brick garden planter box?

dotti
Just Starting Out

How to build a brick garden planter box?

Hi there,

I’m planning on building a brick garden planter box along the fence (images show bricks laid out for part of the garden bed). I will only be building the front wall, as the garden has already been stepped.

The plan is to dig a trench, lay some road base, tamp it down a bit, then pour some quick set concrete. Then lay the bricks with some mortar. Does that sound ok?

Any product recommendations and other advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks

486B30C6-D9B5-451B-BAD7-71351A1B1BC6.jpeg

59CCACD2-E407-4E14-8AD5-AED446E637D1.jpeg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to build a brick garden planter box?

Sounds fantastic @dotti, I'd go as deep as a brick (as they are in the photo) for the trench and then continue on as you've planned, just ensure that you constantly ensure everything is still level as you go through :smile: 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a brick garden planter box?

Hello @dotti

Thanks for sharing your question about how to build a brick planter box. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Advice needed to lay brick-raised flower bed by @Brunnie_Rich. There are a lot of recommendations made in that discussion on how to properly lay out your bricks for a garden. A good foundation is essential to prevent the brick wall from sinking and tipping. My best advice is to use a builder's line to make sure that your brick layout is nice and level. 

If you are building a low-level wall for your garden, there is always the option that you can make it taller and turn it into a raised garden bed in the future. Don't limit yourself to just putting in a brick garden bed. Putting in seats and raised corners should make a nice added feature to your garden.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects