Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a raised garden bed with steel posts?

smmahendar
Finding My Feet

How to build a raised garden bed with steel posts?

Hi there,

I am planning to build the raised garden bed using the galvanized steel post and the H4 ACQ sleepers.

The dimensions are :  Length - 14 meter, Width - 0.5 meter, Depth - 600mm

Materials : Sleeper - 200mmx50mmx2.4m, 1100mm galvanised steel retain-it posts. 

Will the 1100mm galvanised steel retain-it post hold the 2.4m timber? I have mostly seen timber posts but not many steel posts. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Thanks,
M
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a raised garden bed with steel posts?

Hello @smmahendar 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a raised garden bed with steel posts.

My main concern with steel posts is that there is no centre support on the sleeper. At 600mm in height your garden bed will have a lot of mass in it and will be pushing against the sleeper's structure. The pressure applied to the timber sides will cause it to bow.

I suggest having a look at this guide -   How to build a raised garden bed by @Adam_W. This will give you excellent ideas of how to build the garden bed with just sleepers. I also recommend looking at our Top 10 most popular raised garden beds for ideas and inspiration.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @TheSaltyreefer for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects