Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a timber surround for letterbox and tap?

Ravhaven
Finding My Feet

How to build a timber surround for letterbox and tap?

I want to build a timber surround for our front garden taps and include a letterbox. It would be about 700mm high, 700mm across the front and about the same on each side.  I am looking for some advice on the following points please;

1. I have looked at various timbers in your warehouse and like the look of Merbau decking 140mm x 19mm.  Would this timber be suitable?
  2. This would end up being quite expensive.  Is there an alternative of similar colour?
  3. I don’t want to keep painting/oiling timber.
  4. I couldn’t find any posts that had a similar colour to Merbau – what would you suggest I use?  I am thinking of either 100mm2 or 100mm x 50mm
  5. If I sent a design, are you able to cost it for me?
  6. Can I order the timber online?
  7. What are the charges in store, for cutting to length?  Including 45deg corners?
  8. I am thinking of making the surround and then fixing it into the ground with 90deg metal stakes, would that work?

Garden taps and letterbox.jpg Garden taps.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a timber surround for letterbox and tap?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ravhaven. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a timber letterbox and surround.

Merbau would be a suitable timber, though it requires a yearly oil coating to keep it looking its best. There's no alternative budget-friendly timber in that colouring; perhaps you could use 90 x 22mm Decking H3 Treated Pine and stain it to a Mebau colouring.

We stock Merbau posts in many locations, though treated Pine might be more suitable if you're looking for a low-cost option.

If you can provide a design, I can do my best to provide an approximation of the cost. 

Timber can be ordered online, but it would be best to attend a store if you require many different-sized cuts. The cutting charge is 50 cents per cut after the first two cuts per length. We are unable to cut at 45deg angles. Please remember this is a cut-to-length service and not a precision one, so there can be a variance in the cut lengths.

Fixing the surround to the ground with metal stakes sounds like a viable option.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi MitchellMc,

Thanks for your help.  I haven't got a design as such but can give you some proposed measurements, hope that's ok? 

I am thinking of either 140x19mm or 90x19mm Merbau or treated pine in Merbau is too expensive.  I'd appreciate a cost estimate on both, if you can please.  I also have to buy a letterbox to insert which I'll look at seperately.

I am thinking the front would be about 700 wide, 900mm on each of the two sides and about 900mm high.  I have roughly calculated about $500, including about $300 for timber and $200 for the box.  I am just wanting to know if this is close.

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Ravhaven

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ravhaven 

I've sketched up a sample timber surround based on your description and measurements. Please let me know if I've assembled it incorrectly. The approximate price for the surround using the 140x19 with posts is around $300.00 with screws included. The approximate price for the 90x19 surround is $260++ with posts included.

Please keep in mind that the Merbau decking panels are sold by the linear meter as they come in various lengths. I suggest having a look at 88 x 88mm 1.8m F7 H4 KD Treated Pine Premium Post as frame holder for the Merbau panels.

Please let me know if you wish to change the surrounds configuration, I'll be more than happy to update it for you.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi, I am wanting a merbau letterbox design too. All I am after is a screen as your design above but I want the merbau running horizontal as you have it at about 150cm wide and about 100 high. I want two aluminium frame posts on each end that then go into the ground to hold it. I then want to put a letterbox in the middle of it and put the house numbers on there. Are you able to design this and quote it? Thanks 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects