Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a (very simple) planter box?

ELS1
Just Starting Out

How to build a (very simple) planter box?

Hi there! 

I would like to create a planter box which can be left on paves against our fence in our townhouse. Preferably with a base to as this would not be concreted into the ground. The ideas is to house veggies and herbs!

The measurements for the box would include: 200cm (L) x 70xm (H) x 50 (D).

As we are first timers and very much so beginners we would like as much help with the measurements as possible. Open to ideas on how to build this correctly to ensure it doesn't rot away. Please advise on the correct materials to purchase from a one trip shop to bunnings. 

Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a (very simple) planter box?

Hello @ELS1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about a planter box.

Because of the size you've indicated, it can be technically classified as a raised garden bed as well. I suggest using 200 x 50mm Sleeper H4 Sienna MicroPro 2.4m. It is used in landscaping and retaining wall applications. It has termite resistant treatment and is suitable for use in vegetable beds and Children’s play areas.

To secure the sleepers together, I suggest using Zenith 14G x 100mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws - 25 Pack. Any part of the sleeper that has been cut, must be covered in a high-quality water-repellent finish or exterior stain to help reduce warping, checking, and splitting. 

I recommend having a look at this guide - How to build a raised garden bed by @Adam_W.

Here is a link to our top ten raised garden beds: Top 10 most popular raised garden beds

I've placed an example of how you can assemble a raised garden bed below. Please let me know what you think. Please note that the measurements are for reference only, please adjust them to your needs.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask when working on your garden bed. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects