Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wooden arch?

imcodebased
Cultivating a Following

How to build a wooden arch?

Hello Everyone.

is there any good arch that you can recommend that can stay for many years.

Otherwise,  I am planning to create a wooden arch that can last longer.Thus I am thinking it will be wise for me to create through outdoor timber.

My initial plan is this :

imcodebased_0-1642603501411.png

How can I make a curve part with timber ?

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to build a wooden arch?

Hi @imcodebased

We need a bit more information before making recommendations..

1..How thick are the side panels and what material are they made from.?

2..What is the distance between the side panels..?

3..Is this an outside structure in a garden area etc..?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @imcodebased

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Prof. Your initial sketch is very promising, we just need a bit more detail about height, width, and length. Using treated timber is necessary if you are leaving it outside in the open. I would even recommend painting it so that it will have an extra layer of protection. 

The store actually has a few Garden Arches you can look at. But once we have your measurements, we'll be able to give you recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
imcodebased
Cultivating a Following

1..How thick are the side panels and what material are they made from.?

Please see updated design.

2..What is the distance between the side panels..?

imcodebased_2-1642685648059.png

3..Is this an outside structure in a garden area etc..?

Yes please it is for outdoor, next to the fence.

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Just one more thing..Are these side panels a lattice of some type..Is that what the image shows.? What are they made of.?

Hi @imcodebased,

You might like to read through this step-by-step article to get a bit of an idea of what will be involved: How to build a D.I.Y. timber garden arbour. As you'll see, the structure has some rigidity to it and is firmly concreted into the ground. Your proposed design doesn't appear to account for any type of connections from timber to lattice/wire trellis or a solid foundation into the ground. I feel that at the very minimum, you'd need to create a timber frame around the lattice/wire trellis to aid construction, as I can't see a way to just place timber arches on top of the side panels. I've constructed a rendering below to help illustrate a solution.

Timber arches in themselves are going to pose a bit of an issue. As drawn, the required arches are approximately 1200mm wide and 600mm high. There's no solid piece of timber you could use for these, and you'd need to glue and join a couple of pieces together before cutting the arch shape out of them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects