Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build garden bed with Brighton MasonryEziwall Retaining Wall Blocks?

Dezzi
Cultivating a Following

How to build garden bed with Brighton MasonryEziwall Retaining Wall Blocks?

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about the Brighton Masonry 180 x 100 x 295mm Charcoal Eziwall Retaining Wall Blocks.  The narrative for these blocks states that it can be used for creating straight and curved garden beds and retaining walls up to 600mm in height. 

In all the pictures I have seen, the blocks are stacked so that the vertical joints are staggered with half of the length of the blocks where there are one or more layers and all the pictures are inconveniently of round fire pits or just the middle of the wall with the start or ends omitted in the picture. 

I would like to build a garden wall using these blocks but the start will be perpendicular to an existing retaining wall.  Hence, the when starting the second course, I assume it will need to be a half block to ensure the vertical joints are staggered. 

I do not believe these come in half blocks so I assume they have to be cut?  Is this possible or is there another solution?

Thank you.

Brighton Masonry EziwallBrighton Masonry Eziwall

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build garden bed with Brighton MasonryEziwall Retaining Wall Blocks

Hi @Dezzi,

You're correct that you'll need to cut blocks to start the wall. I've found a few select images that show this. This can be done with a cold-chisel and mini sledge, or if you have quite a few to do, it would be work hiring a brick saw. I've checked, and there are no available half-blocks. I'll pass your feedback on to Adbri masonry after the weekend, as a half block would be really handy for projects such as yours.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dezzi
Cultivating a Following

Thank you.

Dezzi
Cultivating a Following

Here is a picture of the almost completed project using the Brighton Masonry Eziwall blocks. 

Splitting the full blocks was a breeze, thanks for your advise, and if anyone else wants to see how it is done (How to Split a Block), there is a brilliant video on the  Adbri Masonry website (https://www.adbrimasonry.com.au/inspiration-advice/diy-videos/).

I have to mention a big thank you to Joshua at the Brendale store who went to great lengths helping me.  Firstly, Joshua had to go looking for more blocks as there were negligible quantities on display. When he realised it would take him some time to get to the pallet, he was thoughtful enough to send another staff member out to advise me that it would take him some time.  He also kindly offered to bring the pallet of blocks out to the car park and together with another colleague (whose name escapes me), help me load the blocks on to the ute, which I had to hire from Bunnings! 

I was pretty anxious about how I was going to load the 70 blocks from inside the shop to the ute all by myself. Thanks to Joshua and his colleague, it was completed in no time at all.

IMG20231101163732.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's awesome to hear @Dezzi, and I'll pass on our thanks to Joshua. I'm sure he'll be pleased to hear how smoothly it all went and how much progress you've made.

I do apologise for not coming across that video and providing it for you. I'm sure it was very helpful. I'll make sure I save the link for any future enquiries.

We look forward to seeing your finished wall!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects