Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to care for sick Hardenbergia and Pandorea plants?

lds
Finding My Feet

How to care for sick Hardenbergia and Pandorea plants?

IMG_9052.jpeg

IMG_9056.jpeg

  

IMG_9055.jpeg

IMG_9054.jpeg

  

We are growing happy wanderer and bower vine on a trellis in our back courtyard. they were growing and climbing well from very young plants after we put in place some protection from our dog, but the last few months they have gone downhill…

some of the happy wanderer plants have developed spots and the healthy ones are being eaten by something (I think caterpillars). we have tried using Yates anti fungal and pest sprays however the problem remains.

the bower vines are very healthy at the top but very sickly yellow and brown at the bottom. I’m wondering if maybe it could be an issue with the soil or roots?

How can we get these plants back to healthy - or do they need to go? 

thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: hardenbergia and pandorea plants going downhill

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lds. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about plant care.

In your first two images, you have several leaves that have what appears to be white powdery mildew, and the third image shows black sooty mould. For the powdery mildew, spray both plants entirely with Yates 150g Mancozeb Plus Garden Fungicide And Miticide, and for the sooty mould, once again spray both plants entirely with Yates 750ml Ready To Use Nature's Way Citrus And Ornamental Spray. Any affected leaves should be removed, and debris around the plants should be cleared. Collect all affected and fallen leaves and bin them; do not compost.

Let me tag a copy of our knowledgeable gardening members, @Noelle and @mich1972, for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell! 
i have tried doing those things, but will give it another go. 
welcome any other suggestions to try things still don’t improve.

Have cut back on watering too…

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

On the watering @lds, make sure to only water at the base of the plant and not over the leaves.

Mitchell

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Keep in mind, @lds , that as the plants grow, the lower stems will become thicker and woodier and lose their leaves entirely.  So long as the top growth is healthy and you keep control over any fungal and pest problems, I would not be too stressed about the lower leaves yellowing. If the tops start yellowing as well, then I'd be concerned about your soil and what is in it.

lds
Finding My Feet

Ok thanks! 

Is there any way I can encourage growth at the bottom? (Trying to create a green wall effect - currently it’s just green up top for the pandorea and completely bare at the bottom) 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lds 

Certain climbing plants, like Hardenbergia, prove highly beneficial in gardens due to their ability to conceal unsightly structures, climb over fences, offer shelter, and contribute to insulation. Some may even yield productive results.

However, cultivating a climbing plant successfully involves more than merely planting it and hoping it gracefully covers a fence or structure. Often, these plants rapidly ascend their supports, resulting in a dense mass of growth at the top while leaving the lower sections bare.

This phenomenon occurs because the plant directs its growth energy primarily towards the terminal bud at the vine's tip, aiming to reach light swiftly. Unfortunately, this prioritization comes at the expense of lateral or side shoots.

Some of the books I've read recommend trimming the plant at its base and allow it to regrow. As new shoots emerge, secure them to the structure in the desired direction of growth. Not an ideal solution as you already have excellent growth in progress.

For new plants, hinder the dominance of the terminal bud by tying or threading them horizontally onto the fence. This encourages all buds along these horizontal stems to produce new shoots, which subsequently grow vertically, providing increased coverage. 

Even pinching out the leading branches can stimulate the development of lateral shoots. Consistency in training the plant is key, and with perseverance, the entire structure will eventually be luxuriously covered.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to care for sick Hardenbergia and Pandorea plants?

Good afternoon @lds may I ask what State you live in please ? Your Hardenbergia looks like a few leaves have powdery mildew on them which I am wondering are you in a wet humid area ? If so , treat it with a fungicide as needed. We are in Perth and it is dry heat here and getting hotter. 
With climbing plants, it’s very common for the base to be very sparse, that’s normal. I’d be more concerned if it was the top froth having problems. 😊🪴

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects