Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to childproof a small pond?

DavidBrent
Growing in Experience

How to childproof a small pond?

Hi all got a small outdoor pond wanting to child proof

Does anyone have any idea what product would be best suited to cover it so it's still visible but safe? Feel like mesh or chicken wire wouldn't hold a child's weight and cause more of a hazard if they were to fall in than having nothing at all (which isn't an option either)

Thanks

It's about a square metre but not a perfect square 

1000005693.jpg

square

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to childproof a small pond?

Thanks for your question, @DavidBrent

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc is assisting members during this busy period and I'm sure will be happy to provide some advice on childproofing your pond as soon as he can.

In the meantime, tagging our helpful members @Thierry@DIYGnome@Nailbag and @Tyro to see if they have any thoughts.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @DavidBrent 

General  rules say if your pond not more than 300mm deep it dosnt have to be treated as a pool or a spa sitution with gates etc.

I am thinking they didnt just randomly come up  with that measuement I am thinking  as  estimation a child arms long enough to possible self save them selfs in a shallow pond,  Given  people  adults can drown in less water how  does that all work.

So if your pond less than 300mm deep your free of local rulz possibly (do  check) . So that means you are free to put a sturdy mini fence around the pond to  deter little ones and still keep the pond looking cottage like.

But a solid metal mesh  painted  black laid  on top 5cm hole gaps will  allow the pond to be mostly seen and allow frogs to visit and  stop little people getting into serious trouble.  Add a couple solid  bush rocks on the back  corners to weight mesh  down  or  some  DIY catches into the rock  edges as options.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DavidBrent,

@Jewelleryrescue's thoughts on a solid mesh are correct. I'd suggest you remove the rock border, install a sheet of RapidMesh 900 x 1200mm 50 x 50mm Silver Wire Mesh Panel and then replace the rocks to secure the mesh in position. Tent pegs can be used as an additional fixing method.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects