Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose a grass trimmer?

cakie181
Finding My Feet

How to choose a grass trimmer?

I've been researching whipper snippers online here tonight,and am wanting to know which one would be good for me,toss up between the ozito pxc grass trimmer for $100,or a ryobi one+ line trimmer with a blower kit for $250, cant decide how much to spend on one either...i've never owned a battery charged whipper snipper aswell,so yeah,am just a little lost....or should i buy a petrol powered one instead of a battery powered whipper snipper kit

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to choose a grass trimmer?

Hi @cakie181,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get heaps of help and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful community members.

One of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts has shared their best advice on this topic in this article - What line trimmer do you recommend? Hopefully other members can also share their thoughts. You might also like to provide a little more detail on what you need the tool for so members can give more specific and helpful recommendations. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @cakie181 

I just had a squiz at the youtube clip and I learnt something new! lol All the years I have used whipper snippers and still yet to know it all. Id def take @Jason's suggestion and have a look :smile: Only thing Id add is to think of how large an area are you going to be maintaining?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cakie181 

Thanks for sharing your question about what grass trimmer to invest in. I actually have both petrol and battery powered line trimmers. I can honestly say that the battery powered line trimmers are much more convenient to use. There is no need to mix oil and petrol, there are no noxious fumes from the motor and gasoline, plus, there is no build-up of oil and grease on the motor housing.

However, @Dave-1 has perfectly pointed out the most critical thing to take into consideration and that is, how large an area are you line trimming? I have the Ryobi 18V ONE+ HP™ 38cm Brushless Line Trimmer and it is rated to cover 560m with a run time of 25 minutes on a 4ah battery. 

My garden line trimming area is about 150m++ and I usually only need one battery to finish the job. When I first started using it, I had to change some of my habits as I was used to using a petrol line trimmer. I used to do a lot of detail trimming and I would end up running down my battery before I could get further. Now I trim the entire area first and return to do the detail work after.

Look carefully at your garden and make an estimation of the number of meters you need to trim. This will give you an idea of what kind of coverage you are looking for in a line trimmer. 

I recommend visiting the store and having a look at the available models, hold them in your hands to make sure that they are not too heavy for you. Identify their coverage area and run time. Once you find a model you are keen on, post it here and we'll try to give you as much information as we can about your choice.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects