Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to completely remove bamboo from yard?

Rawns
Finding My Feet

How to completely remove bamboo from yard?

I have cut down two of the bamboo clumps (I believe this is clumping bamboo) and cut down half of the other. I am applying Roundup on the leaves and new shoots. Is there a quicker way to rid myself of this problem...it's been planted adjacent to my swimming pool!IMG_1085.jpgIMG_1082.jpgIMG_1083.jpgIMG_1084.jpg

DesmondC
Growing in Experience

Re: How to completely remove bamboo from yard?

Hi there,

Came across this thread and is super relevant. In the process of trying to completely remove bamboo from our yard. It’s been a lot of hard work. We’ve been axing the roots and then digging them up fully with a shovel and mattock - see pics.

I’m nervous as heck that they will grow back, so may I ask; once we’ve removed the major root systems, how do we ensure the bamboo stops growing into the future? And when is it safe to replant in that area with something else?

Thx so much.

1F8141CE-1172-4383-9E10-4470256E772B.jpeg

6CCD227E-9A89-476D-B6C5-889D6C3B98CC.jpeg

71CE1660-4456-4DFF-BB79-B886AE1D164D.jpeg

EB6ACE66-B4CB-49E8-9CD8-2EB31A3A6E70.jpeg

virtuallyjohnny
Finding My Feet

Yates Tree and Blackberry Killer is far better than any glyphosphate product. It will kill bamboo in days, whereas glyphospate could take months to kill off an established bamboo unless you flood it.

And don't waste your time with a shovel. Buy a mattock and save your back!! That is my preferred method of getting rid of unwanted plants and trees. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DesmondC,

Keep applying poison to any shoots that appear, and eventually, the clump will die off. If you don't see any new shoots over several weeks, then it is a good indication that the job is done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @virtuallyjohnny. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

It's great to hear of your experience with Yates Tree And Blackberry Weed Killer Concentrate. I generally recommend it for anything woody or more established than general garden weeds.

We look forward to hearing about your home and garden projects, and we'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share. 

Mitchell

DesmondC
Growing in Experience

Really? I've heard all poisons are largely ineffective against bamboo? We're digging up the root system mostly with axe, mattock and shovel. The last one more for leverage. 

@virtuallyjohnny , have you been successful using Yates Tree and Blackberry Killer?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@DesmondC,

I believe the CSIRO developed a method for removing clumping bamboo. If I remember correctly, it was to cut one in every three stems just below a node. Immediately fill the shoot up with Glyphosate and then cap off with mud. Repeat this process for several weeks. This method ensures that it sucks the poison down into the base of the clump, killing it off.

Bamboo has a waxy coating on the leaves and stems which doesn't allow Glyphosate to penetrate. The only way to get it into the plant is on freshly cut wounds.

Mitchell

DesmondC
Growing in Experience

Thanks God for the CSIRO.

My experience removing crazy amounts from client's yards back in the day...
It's a 2-stage process or you can skip the chemical stage altogether....
1) - cut it down to a couple of nodes above the ground. Each cut section should be mid-node so that you have a hollow section of stem. With a glyphosate at the recommended dilution rates fill these hollows up with the product. Do this early in the day. It will be gone, totally absorbed, in a couple of hours. Similar to what CSIRO suggests by the sound of it.

2) - start from an edge with a mattock and dig towards the centre. Bamboo is only shallow rooted so once you get under the root-mat it gets easier. You may need to use an axe or the cutter side of the mattock to divide the clump as you go. If it's a clumping bamboo as you get to the 'core' of the plant it will be a big clump that will likley need dividing.

Or consider....
Clumping bamboos are actually highly prized and quite expensive. If you know you have a clumping variety contact a bamboo grower/nursery or a tree removal company & they may come around and remove it for free & may even offer you some money.
Worth thinking about for you grab the poison or break your back...

DesmondC
Growing in Experience

Hey team, just an update on the bamboo removal project. Some before and after pics for anyone who might be dealing with the same issue. Basically what we did was:

1) Chopped down the culms to as close to the ground as possible so that we were left with an effective "bamboo stump/root system", equivalent to a tree stump for bamboo. We used an angle grinder.

2) Used an axe, mattock and shovel to break the bamboo stump/root system in to 15/30cm x 15/30cm squares. Dug them out. This took aaaaaages and was pretty rough work. We modelled this after this YouTube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq4iB1Z6LXE&t=266s

3) Once the large bamboo stump/root system was removed, we tilled the soil mostly by hand. Using a small mattock and spade, removing all remnant roots and culms to try and make sure growth won't reoccur. 

4) Used Yates Tree and Blackberry Killer - https://www.bunnings.com.au/yates-250ml-tree-and-blackberry-weed-killer-concentrate_p3010221 - on any smaller root systems that were difficult to remove. And we're monitoring the soil for new culms coming out and will keep monitoring for the next 3-12 months before replanting.

Have fun!1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DesmondC,

Many thanks for updating us on your progress. It might be worth popping your head over the fence and seeing if there are any shoots on the neighbour's side. Perhaps offer them the Yates Tree and Blackberry Killer if there are.

Fingers crossed that will be the end of it for you.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects