Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to control nutgrass in a vegetable garden?

Gazman77
Just Starting Out

How to control nutgrass in a vegetable garden?

I've nut grass going wild in the Vegetable garden. I've removed it & some roots but it keeps coming back. I've read about Sedgehammer but I am unsure if it is advisable to grow your Veges if you have used Sedgehammer in the Vege garden.

Also does Sedgehammer kills the roots of Nutgrass ?

Is there an Organic way to kill Nutgrass & roots ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to control nutgrass in a vegetable garden?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Gazman77. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing nutgrass.

Sedgehammer is not suitable for use in a vegetable garden. It's only suitable for use in lawns and agricultural crops under strict guidelines. 

Nutgrass can be a persistent weed in gardens, and it can be challenging to eliminate it completely. There are several ways to control nutgrass in a garden bed. One method is to manually dig out as much of the nutgrass and its root system as possible. It's important that you remove the bulbs as well, or they will grow back. Another option is to use a non-residual weed killer spray, such as Yates 1L Ready To Use Nature's Way Organic Weed Killer Spray, and then turn the soil over to prevent further growth. Protect your veggies from the spray with a sheet of cardboard. A layer of organic mulch, such as sugarcane, Lucerne, or Peastraw, can be placed over the soil to cover the nutgrass and prevent sunlight from reaching it. It's best to place several layers of newspaper down on the soil prior to mulching. I'd recommend doing all three of these methods in combination; dig, spray and cover.

Here are a couple of previous discussions you might like to read through: Looking for advice on controlling nutgrass and How to rid nutgrass from a garden bed? There's also this informative Best Advice article to refer to: How do you control weeds in your garden?

I've referenced discussions and articles on both nut grass and onion weed as they have similar removal methods, but nutgrass is a little more tenacious.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects