Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to control white wax scale on my Lilly Pilly hedge?

andygpage
Getting Established

How to control white wax scale on my Lilly Pilly hedge?

Hi! Our Lilly Pilly hedge has an infestation of white wax scale. In desperation, I’ve been using a high water pressure hose to dislodge them from the tree. I’ve been applying Pest Oil to the plant, but hasn’t seemed to work. There are thousands of these suckers riddled throughout the hedge, and it’s obvious that it’s in some distress. Is my hosing method a valid approach? I’m keen to get a horticulturist come over to our place to assist with recommending a more heavy application of pesticide, but can’t seem to find this service. Does it exist? Any help / advice sincerely appreciated. Here’s a pic of some of the plant for reference. Cheers, Andrew

785C46E7-82C4-4269-9E07-A6DBCCB445C6.jpeg

Re: How do I help my Lilly Pilly hedge that has a white wax scale infestation?

@Littlecastle

Richgro have a granular insecticide you may like to look into for this. It's a systemic insecticide that uses imidacloprid, a chemical used by pest exterminators on white ants, and should not be used indiscriminately. Possibly why Bunnings don't seem to stock it, but it does work as you asked.

White waxy scale on lilly pillies seems a never ending battle though. :unhappy:

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Challenged. It sounds like you have plenty of knowledge and experience to share with other members on Bunnings Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand, have a project to share, or have some advice for other members.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you! I will give it a try. Assuming this is the product you are referring to;

IMG_7267.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @andygpage 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Lilly Pilly recover.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects