Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a stepping stone walk?

Justin12270
Just Starting Out

How to create a stepping stone walk?

So we are looking at doing stepping stones down the side of our house. As you can see in the pic. Still need to level out the yard. But Our issue is stopping the smaller rocks moving and slipping when and if stepped on by other people and kids.We where thinking sand under the rocks to kinder lock them in to place. Or going with smaller white rocks rocks

20220329_202402.jpg

Pakster
Finding My Feet

Re: best way to go about doing a walk way like this

We sprinkled rapid set cement on the loose stones and sprinkled with water  just dont put too much on .

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Justin12270

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your stepping stone.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Pakster. There are a few ways to secure your stepping stones. You can surround the stone with a Saxon 75mm x 10m Black Garden Edge. However, you'll have to dig to embed the edging and you'll have to decide how much of it you want sticking out. It will hold the stones in place and prevent the entire structure from spreading. 

You can glue the entire structure together. I suggest using Selleys 415g Liquid Nails Landscape Stone Concrete Adhesive. Start from the centre sticking each stone to the main centre stone and slowly working your way out. Once you have the form you're after, you can start on the second level. Make sure that the 2nd level stones are placed in a flat manner to prevent them from being accidentally kicked.

The other method that I can think of is to create a cement base, place the main stone in the middle and place the pebbles on the cement surface making sure that they are not too deeply placed in the cement. You can then glue the second level pebbles with liquid nails. Once the cement has cured spread some soil and dirt on top to hide the cement base exposing only the stone and pebbles.

Let me tag our experienced members @prettyliving, @craftyhopper and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Pakster

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your idea on keeping the stone walk together.

It sounds like you've already built a stepping stone in your garden? Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your version of the stone step? I'm sure it will help out our members who are thinking of building something similar. Has the rapid set cement held on to the stones in your step? 

Again, thank you for sharing your solution to the loose stepping stones.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to create a stepping stone walk?

Hi @Justin12270,

Looking forward to seeing your project come together. It's great to see you've already got some great advice.

Just wanted to add that we did something similar down the side of our house. We used bluestone rounds, railway sleepers, pebbles and Whites Garden Edging steel strips. Have a look at the image below and also check out Ideas to revamp your side yard. Members like @diy_hausdesigns and @weekenddiyer have completed similar projects.

Jason

Jason_0-1648763832835.jpeg

Hi Eric,

Sorry I don't have a photo fo the stepping stones as they were at my old house, I also had edging as well which helped keep them together.

The stepping stone did not come loose form last time I heard and they would have been there 4years easily. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects