Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a trellis for a dragon fruit tree?

mj3
Finding My Feet

How to create a trellis for a dragon fruit tree?

im needing a strong trellis for a dragon fruit tree. suggestions? do you have a work shop for this ? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: trellis for dragon fruit

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mj3. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a trellis.

I'd suggest you create a sturdy frame out of H3 treated Pine and then mount a mesh panel onto it. These mesh panels are significantly stronger than chicken wire.

If you can draw me a sketch of the type of trellis and frame you'd like to create, I can draw some renders and provide details of the products you'll need to purchase. Let me know if you need a hand uploading an image.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Do Bunnings have frames already put together or workshop's to make one? 

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mj3,

We don't have frames specifically for dragon fruit. After checking out what growers use, it appears to be quite a specific frame. Unfortunately, we don't have workshops on how to make one, but I could guide you through the process. Let me start by providing a rendering of an option that seems very popular with growers. The top section is easily constructed using 90 x 45 H3 treated Pine and screwed together with 75mm timber screws. The top frame can then be mounted onto a H3-treated post. You'll need to paint the bottom of the post with bitumen paint before concreting it into the ground. Alternatively, if you grow in a very large pot, the frame could be installed into it.

Let me know what you think.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good afternoon @mj3 The frame that @MitchellMc has shared is brilliant as Dragon Fruit needs to climb up and then cascading down , that is really important. It’s a special frame that needs to be made not something you can buy if that makes sense. Good luck, can’t wait to see what you create 😃🪴

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects