Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to deal with persistent psyllids on lilly pillies?

DIYKeith
Cultivating a Following

How to deal with persistent psyllids on lilly pillies?

Hi there,

I’m losing a long battle against psyllids on 10 , 1.5 year old Lillie pillies. I’ve been applying eco oil spray every few weeks after cutting back all the infected leaves, however all my new shoots are still getting covered in them. I give them seasol every two weeeks but acknowledge some additional food (not sure what) or soil enricher, compost could also help? I’ve read lots of tips but hoping someone here might have a good combo of remedies. If I drastically cut back this latest spread, will the lilli pillies recover? Thanks! 

B952E2BC-7CAE-49C4-A3A3-A11230EB74B5.jpeg

CFB2CB3E-6CE4-4BA7-B784-C3C754D2EEEF.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to deal with persistent psyllids on lilly pillies?

Hello @DIYKeith

Thanks for sharing your question about persistent psyllids on your Lilly Pillies. Although cutting the infested parts of your plant will help, the psyllids are mobile insects and will simply jump off the dead branch and onto your healthy ones. I suggest increasing the frequency of your eco-oil to once a week. 

In order to thoroughly spray the plant, the underside of the leaves and any hidden branches must be sprayed as well. Since the infestation has been with you for a while, I recommend checking any other nearby plants that might have been infected and spraying those as well. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

@DIYKeith 

I agree with Eric's recommendation to increase the frequency of the eco oil and also look at and treat nearby plants too if the psyllids are widespread.

Control is better than removal - eco oil won't harm your plants so apply as often as necessary to keep the pests at bay and minimise the damage.

DIYKeith
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL and @Noelle , much appreciated. Good to know I can be more frequent with the eco oil and I’ll look to try and better clear all the dead branches/ leaves that I cut off as I feel that has been a consistent source. (Surrounding plants all seem fine) In terms of overall health, do either of you have recommendation on mulch, fertisiler or food that would be best for the Lilly Pillies? As mentioned I just water with seasol now and have applied, on the advice of Bunnings’s team member, Neutrog Wholflundung last summer. Is there anything else that can help them be as healthy as possible? Thanks again! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DIYKeith,

Seasol is an excellent tonic for sick plants, and Whoflungdung is a fabulous nutrient-rich mulch. However, neither is a complete fertiliser. I'd suggest applying some Osmocote Landscape Slow-release Fertiliser, which will be all your plants need fertiliser-wise. I trust @Noelle will add any other suggestions.

Mitchell

@DIYKeith and @MitchellMc 

Osmocote Native Controlled Release Fertiliser is a viable option to Osmo Landscape Formula. Both are 6 month release and low phosphorus. The Native formulation has the right balance of trace elements for native plants, of which the lillypilly is but one.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@DIYKeith,

Sorry, I forgot about the Native version. Best to use it as per @Noelle's advice.

Mitchell

DIYKeith
Cultivating a Following

Great, thanks @MitchellMc and @Noelle I’ll pick up some Osmocote! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects