Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to determine the ideal pH level of soil?

balaji27
Building a Reputation

How to determine the ideal pH level of soil?

Hello Team,

I would like to take your advice on the following:

1. What should be the ideal pH range for the soil to grow plants?

2. How to measure/determine the pH? (I know there are digital instruments, but not sure the accuracy of the results}

3. What are the ways to increase/decrease the pH (if the soil is found to be more acidic or basic)?

Is there a book, website or resource to refer or read about the plant and its protection & maintenance?

Thanks

Balaji.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Soil pH

Hi @balaji27 

Different plants like different pHs  Usually if you buy  the right fertilizer  for those  plants it contains most of the right ingredients to  aid those plants like roses 

There  are cheap digital pH meters probaly not very accurate like the more proffesional meters.  For most  gardeners  use pH test strips  and a color chart which is reasonably accurate to the nearest  unit not  tenths of  units,  0.1 

You  are  right @balaji27  start  reading books and  watching you tubes and you will be an expert in no time.

But there are better gardeners than me here I know will be able to guide you better.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @balaji27,

@Jewelleryrescue has just about covered your questions there.

Most plants prefer a slightly acidic to neutral pH range. The ideal pH for soil is generally between 6.0 and 7.5. However, some plants may have specific preferences, so it's a good idea to research the pH requirements for the specific plants you are growing.

Using a PH test kit will provide the most accurate results.

To adjust soil pH, you can increase it (make it less acidic) by incorporating dolomitic lime. On the other hand, to decrease soil pH (make it more acidic), you can use elemental sulfur. It's crucial to test the soil regularly before making any adjustments and to follow recommendations based on the specific needs of your plants. Gradual changes are recommended to avoid stressing plants, and monitoring the pH over time ensures a suitable environment for plant growth.

However, as @Jewelleryrescue mentioned, it's best not to get too focused on PH levels and instead provide the plants with a suitable feeding regime for their type.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue for your guidance, I will pH test strips.

You are correct, I am gaining knowledge from you all and watching YouTube videos.

Regards

Balaji.

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Thanks for your response @MitchellMc, very useful.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to determine the ideal pH level of soil?

Hello @balaji27,

Great to see you've received helpful advice from our members.

Speaking of gaining knowledge through additional resources, I recommend checking out the following comprehensive guides from our knowledgeable horticulturalist @Noelle

These guides contain useful advice that you might find handy when growing your plants. Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

A note of caution regarding pH testing:

Please keep in mind that most home pH test kits are designed for testing the natural garden soil found in your front or back yard, not potting mixes or bagged soils that usually contain quite high percentages of organic composts and manures.

Highly organic potting mixes (and even garden soils that have been heavily mulched or had lots of compost added over a period of time) will often give extremely inaccurate pH results when tested using a reagent mixed with the sample and then checked against a colour chart or tested via test strips.

As @MitchellMc says, giving plants the balanced fertiliser they require and looking after them well will result in healthy plants. Don't get hung up on the numbers!

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Re: How to determine the ideal pH level of soil?

Thanks a lot @Akanksha for sharing the articles, I will read through it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects