Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to erect shade cloth?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to erect shade cloth?

I have an elevated veggie garden in our backyard and I want to be able to erect shade cloth to shield my veggies from the brutal summer sun.   If you look at the pic, the shade cloth can be attached  to the fence on the western side quite easily, and to suitable hooks to be installed on the white beam above the grey shade cloth.   But I will need to install a pole at the bottom corner next to the drainage grille in order to elevate the north eastern corner of the shade cloth.   The shade cloth would only be needed at the height of summer when its really hot so the pole would be removed after the hot weather has finished.   I imagine that the pole could be a star picket, but how do I make  housing that will fit it - and which will be nearly flush with the ground and which I can put a cap over at times when its not being used.  How to go about this?veg.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: erecting shade cloth

Hi @ennoh,

It would be a neat solution to create a small concrete foundation to slip some galvanised pipe into. A 50mm PVC pipe cap could be used to cover the hole when not in use. An eye-bolt can be installed on the top of the pipe to connect your shackle for the shade cloth.

If you cover the bottom of the pipe with Gladwrap, it can be used as a mould to form the hole in the foundation. The plastic wrap will ensure the pipe doesn't get stuck in the hole. 

I've created a few images below to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

c1.pngc2.pngc3.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ennoh
Building a Reputation

Re: How to erect shade cloth?

Oh I see, you are saying that the pole is inserted into the concrete base.   That is a neat solution.     So I dig a square of dirt out - how deep do you think I should dig for the foundation?     And how deep should the hole in the foundation be in order to stabilise the pole?     

ennoh
Building a Reputation

And putting a hole into the top of the pole to fit the eye bolt..... who sort of drill bit will I need?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@ennoh,

I'd recommend making the foundation 300W x 300D x 450mmH. That sounds like a lot, but a shade sail can capture a substantial amount of wind in a storm. The sizable foundation will ensure it doesn't pull out of the ground.

To drill the hole for the eyebolt, use a drill bit of the same diameter or slightly larger than the shank. An 11mm drill bit would be a perfect fit for this eyebolt and its 10mm shank.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects